Votes
Matt Blutowski
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Cut my losses or call my attorney?

Matt Blutowski
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted May 8 2012, 18:36

I inherited tenants 6 months ago, and finally the lease ended and they are out.

Along the way, the tenants refused to pay an extra fee for a pet they were keeping, didn't pay the last month rent, left a hole in the dry wall form a kick or punch, vacated the apartment two days late and left a mess.

Two of them also walked off with three window unit air conditioners - two of them were just 1.5 years old. The tenant claims they were his.

I have photos of the air conditioners, have a sales agreement with the units included, have talked to the property manager and one of the tenants - all agree that the air conditioners are mine. I also have photos of the mess they made.

I had asked $100 to repair the dry wall, but with the theft of the air conditioners I am considering legal help. I just don't want my urge to get even to cause me to make a bad business decision. Do I let it go, or sue?

If I sue, I believe I could ask for the last months rent, late fee, fee for moving out two days late, the $50/month they never paid for the pet, and an amount for the air conditioner. I have paperwork from months ago showing I asked for a pet deposit and monthly fee (consistent with the lease) once I discovered they were keeping a cat.

This is at least a good learning experience - I don't think I'll ever inherit tentants again!

Loading replies...