What would you do with this kitchen? How would you budget it?

11 Replies

What would you do with the kitchen in the attached pic? This will be my first time to mess with any type of improvements on my properties?

Here's some of the ideas that I have floating around in my head now:

• -New countertops... Granite ($30 sq/ft?) What's your opinion on the benefits of going to granite instead of lower-cost formica? 
  • -Paint the cabinets white (do this myself for the cost of chalk paint)
  • -New hardware on the cabinets, do this myself (Couple of hundred dollars?)
  • -Replace the appliances with discounted stainless steel models ($2250? Fridge, oven/stove, dishwasher, microwave/vent) 
  • -New sink, porcelain or something? $400?
  • -Keep the floors as-is ($0)
  • -Paint the walls grey, or tan? Do this myself for the cost of paint

Your thoughts?

(the pic is upside down in the post, but if you click on it, it will open correctly)

When I click it is still upside down. If you paint the cabinets yourself it is going to peel or flake off. They require a ridiculous amount of prep and knowledge to be done right. The counter depends on the market, rent and property class. Paint the walls and the sink should always be stainless. Make sure it isn't cheap crap or it will dent. If you get something white it will stay that way for all of a year if you're lucky. 

@Matthew Defore it depends on what you’re going to do with the property after you remodel it. If you’re trying to sell it, I would do things differently than if you’re just going to continue renting it. I am a kitchen designer and do lots of flips/rentals for real estate agents and if you don’t know what you’re doing, it can end up costing you more money because of mistakes. If you let me know the goal of the remodel, I’d happily give my opinion on what to do.

This one was similar to the kitchen you have. Rustoleum Cabinet transformations (Large kit $70) in cordovan with the $13.88 * 3 wainscoting on the front of the peninsula, Daisch spreadstone in onyx over existing laminate counters $125. Replaced hinges with invisible soft close face frame hinges ($3.50/hinge) and a little hate from my handyman; bar pulls $1.25 each off amazon. Used existing hood just pulled off the "oak wood grain" sticker on the front. Got the stove off Craigslist for $100, the fridge from a guy that does best buy liquidations for $620, the 18" tiny dishwasher that you can't see was $400 no deals to be had on the little guys. The under cabinet lights were off amazon for $60. Waste King 1/2 HP disposal $65 Menards. Faucet off amazon $60. The tile was more expensive than I usually use it was $8/sq Total $232, Muscle bound adhesive 2 rolls (Lowes 26/roll) Grout with sealer (Lowes ) $35. New LED ceiling light ebay $35 1700 lumens.

We do buy and hold rentals.

@Matthew Defore So far so good. We've had it in a couple units for just over two years now and it still looks like it did when we applied it. We have not had any bad tenants in those units though. I would get granite but I'm too cheap to pay for installation and my husband threatened to divorce me if I found any more granite deals...and I kind of like him-- we've been married for almost 30 years ;) It's pretty expensive to do anything in those kitchens with custom peninsulas. When we have time and space I have them pull out a cabinet and turn the peninsula into an island (it does eat into the dining area space) but then you can use stock laminate on the L and granite the island.

@Matthew Defore I would probably just leave it unless everything is worse than what I can tell from the picture. I don’t know that redoing it will add much actual value. It may add some perceived value, which does mean something, but if you can rent it out as it is, I’d wait to redo the whole thing before you try and sell it. If you are planning on holding it forever, then I would just redo everything at once. I wouldn’t hodge podge it myself. I’d get new cabinets, tops, and appliances.

At my store, I would figure maybe $2,000-5,000 for new cabinets depending on what you do, $1,500-3,000 for stone tops, and $2,000 for a stainless appliance package. Then labor for installation of the cabinets. Not sure what that would run.

Of course if you want to just paint the cabinets and do some little fixes to save money, but still show an increase in value, that’s totally up to you! Hope it turns out well!

@Matthew Defore   Careful with the type of paint you use for cabinets.  I used enamel paint and it held up really well.  Clean and lightly sand the cabinets and doors before painting.

A coat of paint will do wonders.   If the appliances are in working order, I'd leave them (but I hate stainless steel). Plus you are painting the cabinets white, so the appliances will blend in rather than stick out.

Sink looks fine, but you could update the faucet.  

Countertop-depends on the market.  I have laminate in most of mine as they are less expensive and don't stain.  I would change it as there is some damage on the end and it isn't hidden by anything.

With just painted cabinets, new hardware and a new counter top; I think it would look quite nice.  For the counters, depending on how big the room is on the other side, you could have a larger overhang and create a small sitting area on the left of the sink.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you