Property line goes through neighbors building

5 Replies

Hire a surveyor to map the property and prove where the building is. Take that to your town/city building dept and/or zoning dept. They will have setback bylaws stating how far from the property line buildings need to be. They will then have the neighbor move the structure 

This procedure will help clean up any 'blurry' property lines you have in the future and will make it much easier for you to sell in the future. 

So I had surveyor come out and put stakes in ground yesterday and the line went through neighbors structures. Today I got a knock on my door from property owner next door giving me a survey he had done and telling me that he was going to pull stakes up if I didnt pull them up since his survey was right. Map from the survey I had done will be done soon. But the guy was pretty confrontational and was threating to take me to court. I told I am just trying to figure out where the lines are and we would get it fugured out but he just was a broken record saying his survey was right and that was it and to pull the stakes up and he would get law involved. So crazy. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you