How do I get better than 70%LTV on a SFR?

6 Replies

I have over $100k in equity in a rental property...I am unable to use it because of fees associated with HELOC and refinancing. How do I get past this? Do I have to use a hard money lender?

@Zachary Wiederstein I’m in the Springs as well. Most lenders won’t do a Heloc on an investment although I’m sure there is someone out there who would - I just haven’t found one. Talk with Rich Dillman at Caliber I’m Briargate. He can help with cash out refinancing.

Yeah, cash out refi is the only traditional option I'm aware of unless you have a portfolio of about 3 or more properties. Once you have a portfolio of properties you can bundle the equity into a commercial LOC that's based more on your balance sheet than individual lines. That's what I have. Commercial terms are not as attractive as residential, and it does come with annual fees, but it's a good option.

@Zachary Wiederstein

What is the value of the property? With conventional, for a single family rental property you can get an LTV up to 75% with a cash out refinance and up to 70% LTV with a multi-family rental.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you