Non- first time Home buyer

3 Replies

I bought a townhome with my friend, and i wish i would’ve got rental property first. What steps can i take to get a rental property since I’m no longer a first time home buyer. (Financing)

Hi @Sydni Davis and welcome to BiggerPockets!

Good news: Just because you bought a townhome doesn't mean you can never be a first-time home buyer again [see https://www.fha.com/define/fir...]!

So, if you sold the townhome and then rented for three years, you could once again be considered a first-time home buyer.

Or, if you were to marry someone who was a first-time home buyer, you both could purchase together as a first-time home buyer.

In my experience, you can get the same benefits FHA gives you (ie, 3.5% down) from the banks directly.. and to the banks, the more houses you already own, the better 🙂

Agreed, "first time home buyer" programs are just local incentives, if they exist at all. FHA and conventional loans are available to anyone, not just first time home owners.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you