Votes
John Nachtigall
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
National Renters Rights Plan

John Nachtigall
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Posted Nov 21 2019, 16:27

This forum is not to be used for politics.   However this proposed plan is squarely about landlords and renters.   So without saying anything about the candidate I thought we could discuss the plan and some of the more interesting aspects.   Some of it is pretty standard (rent control, lawyers for tenets, etc.) but some of it is even beyond that.  

https://elizabethwarren.com/plans/protecting-empowering-renters

-  First thing is I thought it was very interesting that it is a renters plan in the first place.   It shows how the country is moving towards renting rather than promoting home ownership.   

- it will "entice" the states and localities to accept these laws by offering 500 billion in affordable housing funds.   The US spends about 6.4 billion a year in residential construction housing, so a one time 500 billion injection would be off the scale.   No realistic way to even spend it if it happened as there would not be enough construction workers to even hire.  

- One of the proposals is a new national Tenet Protection Bureau which will "enforce tenants’ rights, take on bad actors, and make sure landlords keep affordable housing affordable for working families".   I am pretty sure she means most all the members of BiggerPockets.  

- another interesting point is redlining.    Something like @James Wise Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods would be illegal under her plan.   Any housing policy with "racist effects" would have to be ended.   So the identification of class A, B, C, and D neighborhoods, even with the intention to invest in them, could be racist.  I know this sounds crazy, it is an amazing piece of logic but the argument would be that investing in class C properties causes gentrification which pushes people of color out which is racist.   I have no idea how you would prove any of that in order to prosecute it, but that is in her plan.  

-  Homelessness...I will just quote this part as I can't do it justice   "My Department of Justice will not fund efforts to criminalize homelessness and will deny grant money to police departments who are arresting residents for living outside."  Feel free to look at how that has gone for San Francisco

- There is a provision to deny mortgages to "large predatory landlords" by locking them out of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.  Again not sure how that would work.  

- It eliminates rent to own, she calls them land contracts.

- It will require the publishing of individuals names in LLCs

So I am unsure if this is too "political" to discuss on the forums but I thought it contained some very interesting and different plans with respect to renters and landlords and worth the try.   

Again, this is not about the politics but the proposed policy.   I am interested if you found other parts interesting, it is a very large plan.  

Loading replies...