ADU within Existing Footprint - Los Angeles

5 Replies

Hello Everyone!

I have a client who is interested in doing an Accessory Dwelling Unit within the existing footprint of a house.  It is actually already done we just want to complete it with permits.

I am familiar with garage conversions, but doing it within the existing footprint is new. It would be about 1,200 square feet, which is why the Jr. ADU option is out.

Because the utilities wouldn't be split, and it was originally what looks to be the master, the only new item is the kitchen.  I would imagine it would be pretty easy to get done but any and all guidance would be appreciated!

Best,

Rick

I'm not understanding what you're talking about. You mean within the house itself you want to partition off space for an ADU? ADU can be attached to the house, so it would probably be a matter of basically splitting the home. Go down to the local building department and talk to them about it, see what permits will be and go from there.

Yes, it would be sectioning off a portion of the house.  I just wanted to see if anyone has experience in this and has insight (for example how easy it was, cost, etc).  Really the only thing that is new to the space is the kitchen since it was a large master before.

Thanks,

Rick

If I understand this correctly, sounds fairly easy and all you need is architectural and structural plans, submit to city for plan check approval, get permits and start construction.

Here in LA, I do my share of ADU projects along with new construction and rehab flips, what you are describing does not sound very difficult at all.

@Rick Albert I have done this several times. The building department regulations (probably related to IRC) will most likely apply. Fire separation is a biggie - easier to achieve side to side than up and down. Separate thermostatic control of heat. 24/7 access to breakers. That sort of thing. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you