Credible Resources for Crime Stats

4 Replies

Hi all! I just wanted to know what you guys think is the most credible site/source for really getting a grasp of an area's crime. There's a specific area that I have been looking Into. I've looked at several different crime maps, sites like neighborhood scout and AreaVibes, and even drive around that area. They are all inconsistent with one another. What should I do?

@Knoell Palmer   I have used City Data-seems fine; but nothing beats taking a look yourself. I invest in a couple of smaller towns-18k population. You can go to the local constabulary and they will gladly share call frequencies at an area or even one apartment building. 

First, I assume you are referring to street crime, as there is crime everywhere. It's just that my ZIP code has more drug sellers, and Bill Gates' ZIP code has more tax cheats.

But one trick I have used in the past is to use the local paper's reports. Cincinnati? Well, use the Cincinnati Enquirer's search engine and input the streets, or even specific addresses. https://cincinnati.newspapers.com/?xid=527#

This will turn up interesting info for the patient person.

A search like this for my old street would turn up a meth lab explosion, for example.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you