Paying a finder's fee ??

1 Reply

I've read the tips from other investors suggesting using a $500 finder's fee, or similar wording. They pay this to anyone who brings them the lead, after the deal is complete and the property closes.

So I decided to check with the fine folks here in Oregon, to be certain I wasn't putting anyone in jeopardy. As it turns out, it's not ME who would have the problem, but the person whom I would pay the fee. Here's the official word back:

Per ORS 696.010 (11) "Professional real estate activity" (j); the person you pay a fee to would be doing professional real estate activity without a license. Per ORS 696.990 this act is a Class A misdemeanor and subject to the violator being charged a penalty.

So I'm sure other folks have come across this and I want to see how you handle it...

Thanks.

It all matters what the laws are in your state. I find deals for investor, and that is what I charge, $500 per house. But I am a realtor so the money does have to go through my broker first. It all matters what your law states.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you