College Major for Real Estate Investing

4 Replies

I realized I wanted to be financially free via real estate after reading the million dollar real estate investor. I instantly was hooked, wanting to learning more and more! I've been listening to your podcasts while I work and I hear a common theme about how their college education hasn't impacted their knowledge/career in real estate greatly. I'm going to be a senior next year and I plan on going to college for free with the ROTC program. I am wondering what college majors, as investors, you all believe would be the most beneficial to my investing career!

Thank You,

Nick O’Patterson

Having a college degree isn't necessary to be successful in real estate, but it can be helpful as having a degree can help land a better job, which will help fund deals.

As for a specific major, Finance, Economics, Construction/Construction Management, or Accounting would fall in line with real estate investing to varying degrees. It really depends on your interests.

None.

Unless maybe you use your ROTC to go into the military and save as much as you can, then when you get out use a VA loan to buy a house.

College will teach you nothing of use in this business.

Good Luck!

Honestly, doing post secondary school in something that will get you a paying job once you are done doing something you love.  Trades (carpentry, electrical, plumbing), accounting, etc are all jobs that are in demand and would indirectly help you in investing.  Do I have a degree in those areas, nope; but I do have a job that allows me to use my salary to invest.

@Nicholas OPatterson

Some colleges have a make your own major program. My alma mater, UMass Amherst, called it their Bachelors Degree in Individual Concentration. Other schools may even have a real estate program. I recommend finance as a strong contender so you learn the basics of Excel and become comfortable building complex models. It’s an invaluable skill even with all the calculators that exist out there. Large multi-family investors aren’t using the BP calculators to analyze deals....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you