What age did you start investing?

What age did you start investing?

Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes

Obviously, there is no correct answer. Some investors have the freedom to start when they are in college/a young adult while others decide to invest closer to retirement. 

With that being said, at what age did YOU begin to invest?

17Reply
624 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Matthews, NC · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 239 votes
6y

My husband and I just started flipping last year. (He is 60 and I am 58).  Never too late!  We love it!!!

See this reply in the discussion

138 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Great! 

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    21 years old I bought twenty-eight acres raw land edge of National Forest Las Vegas NM for development. No money down on contract. Then 3 houses in town Las Vegas NM. Later three homes in Granada Hills, CA developed two as prototype Alzheimer's Homes. I'm an RN and residential broker. Bought & developed partial sub-division Portland OR. Currently holding 2 level rentals in Portland OR. Over 12 years as licensed residential broker in CA and now in OR &WA. Big picture now: Buying RV & Mobile Home Parks USA. Looking for deals and developing lender and investor relations. 

  • charlotte nc · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    26

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilkes County, NC · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    When I was 10 years old.  On the way to school I would buy a bag of 30 red-hot fireballs for .69 and then sell them at .05 a piece.  I eventually expanded my inventory to include Pixie Stix.

  • Lender · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    My Investment type and History:

    4th grade-my friends mom came to our school and taught us about compound interest. Started my first savings account immediately.

    12 years old opened my first Money Market Account

    19 years old opened my first brokerage account and invested in Mutual Funds

    21 years old opened up an E*Trade account and bought an individual stock

    22 years old bought first Single Family Home (SFH)

    24 years old opened a ROTH IRA account

    25 years old turned 1st SFH into rental property

    33 years old started a Thrift Savings account

    41 years old bought crypto currency

    42 years old bought and sold first flip property

    42 years old opened a Self Directed IRA

    43 years old investing in Hard Money Lending

    43 years old started a Solo 401K

    ***All the years I always invested in learning from anyone and everyone that was an expert in all of the above. Invest in the learning process!!!

    #HomePortCapital

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 77 posts · 71 votes
    6y

    @Tim Bellnier A young entrepreneur! That is hilarious. 

    @Joshua Benjamins I love the quote "invest in the learning process" - that is so important in investing and for life in general. I am a strong believer in lifelong learning.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago IL · Member since 2018 · 83 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    28yrs old, just closed on our third 4-plex.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    In 5th grade I was part of the stock market club and my team got 2nd in the whole state!

    Now I'm 24 and just getting started in real estate investing. Currently preparing to house hack my family's primary residence and purchase our first SFH!

  • Rental Property Investor · Newark, NJ · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 75 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    I bought my first 3 family to live in at 29 but started investing seriously at 33. The first one at 29 was the spring board to go all in at 33. FHA loan with 2 tenants paying your mortgage is an amazing thing.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 239 posts · 177 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes 29

  • Real Estate Agent · Calgary, AB · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes bought my first rental at 19. I’m 20 right now. Had a 1 year lease and went over very smooth. Just resigned them for another year. (Working as an electrician in Canada so no student debt but decent oil salary)

  • Rental Property Investor · Scarborough, ME · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I’m 23 and just purchased my first duplex in August as a house hack!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 121 votes
    6y

    23, SFH foreclosure in 2016

  • Investor · Sacramento · Member since 2020 · 47 posts · 67 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    21

  • New to Real Estate · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    18, well I'm 18 right now and am trying to find my first house hack.

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 549 posts · 286 votes
    6y

    32

  • Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    28, a year ago and planning to stack and grow every single year

  • Investor · Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 171 posts · 277 votes
    6y

    I started educating and doing direct mail when I turned 24 and bought my first deal shortly after!  That was over 4 years ago and I wish I started earlier to take more advantage of the rising market cycle we were in!

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 3 votes
    6y

    In a way I started investing when I was about 17.  I was saving money so I could go to school with as few student loans as possible (in addition to my parent's money).  At 23, I am now starting to actually invest in the stock market.  I just think that investing in your education is the best place to start.  

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Anthony Wick how’s ur portfolio and cash flow looking like now?

  • Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 138 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes I’m 17 and saving up to househack a duplex when I turn 18.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 138 votes
    6y

    @Shane Brooks looking back, was college worth it?

  • Contractor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Rhodes

    I’ve yet to start, but I’m teamed up with a realtor and searching every day for my first deal!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Aang Sherpa

    Good enough that I’m retiring in 3 years at age 54. Investments in the market slow going this year, of course. And I can’t find that 4-8 plex that I want to buy. But all of our duplexes are cash flowing well, and tenants paying every month.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Bought a Bed & Breakfast at 21 and then some multi families a few years later. My partner took us to the cleaner on the multi families so we made him buy us out and purchased a single family that we flipped a few years later. Bought a separate Bed & Breakfast and sold the first. Ten years later put current B&B on the market and bought a duplex that I’m house hacking and am selling B&B. Looking for that next deal currently. Since I began working outside the B&B’s 8 years ago I have always participated in employer retirement fund match and have my own RothIRA.

    Alecia

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.