Starting in real estate

6 Replies

It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to sell houses, research brokerages and find a good one. If you want to sell commercial properties, same thing. Property management, start applying for positions. Also, remember that most of the real estate class is going to be compliance. They probably aren't going to teach you about marketing yourself, your area, and real world skills. You'll have to pick those up somewhere else. Start browsing the mls or zillow to see what is offered in your area, go to some open houses, network.

Good luck on your classes!

Hi @Helison Cabral Gomes ,

I highly recommend reading Profit First. There's not any better financial book that gives strategic AND practical advice on finances for the business.

I'd also recommend Gary Keller's The Millionaire Real Estate Investor because of the practical tips offered in the book.

You want to be educated but make sure to dive in as soon as you can.

Make offers, talk to people!

Good luck to you on your journey!

To add, I would seriously consider house hacking. I'm not sure how the market is out in Brockton, but its a great way to make money while you live somewhere. Get a couple roommates and flip a house over the course of a year or two. It builds useful skills, teaches you about home ownership (so you learn what clients look at), and generates wealth. I started when I was 24, but I wish I started when I was 20. And since you will have your real estate license, you can (I believe) use part of your commission for the down payment on a house you buy.

@Helison Cabral Gomes this can be a difficult business to break into as it is all transaction based. A couple of good options for breaking in would be to find a mentor or an office you can work in for some W2 income while you learn. You learn how to be a great Realtor by doing; the classes just prove that you’re able to learn, the real learning happens after you get your license. I wish you success!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you