• Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
How do you analyze a multifamily deal?

Alberto M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Oct 23 2020, 07:31

When someone sends me an off-market deal, I find a property on LoopNet or on the MLS, the first metric I look for (kind of my first filter) is the cap rate. If it has a competitive cap (using MY expense ratio and the current market conditions) then we move to the next filter.

In this second filter I estimate the loan terms (based on the market, my experience and the property), and with that we come up with a CoC (or cash-on-cash) and IRR (or Internal rate of return). If these numbers are aligned with what we look for then we move forward to the next filters.

On my third filter, we schedule a touring of the property and perform a physical preliminar analysis of the property (not an inspection) to figure out how much CapEx will be necessary. If it all comes positive, we submit an offer.

Once we have the property under contract we start due diligence (reconcile financials, rent roll analysis, inspections, appraisers, estoppel certificates, etc etc).

If no surprises or negotiated a reduction due to a surprise, we move forward to the closing.

In parallel I am working with the lenders to find the best financing terms possible.

It’s important to know that these steps work only if you already know the market you are investing in. If you don’t really know the market, surround yourself with people that do and start learning about cap rates in that market, vacancy rates, rental growth rates, unemployment rates, employers (job generators), governmental policies and regulations, and so on.

This is just a short version of the way I analyze a deal and I hope it helps. Feel free to reach out if you have questions or want me to elaborate more on a specific point.

What is your purchase process? I’m interesting to know !

Loading replies...