Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas C Celli
  • Accountant
  • East Hanover
Votes |
$$ Partnering using my owner occupancy to add value to investors?

Nicholas C Celli
  • Accountant
  • East Hanover
Posted Oct 28 2020, 14:52

Hi Bigger Pockets Community,

I am a recent college grad looking to learn and get started in real estate. I see my one competitive advantage right now as being able to move almost anywhere within a 100 mile radius. I was talking to a bank and found that they have a loan program for owner occupants where they can put down 5% and have a co-signer who does not have to live in the house. Would partnering on this type of loan with an experienced investor on a 4 unit multifamily be a good idea? I will offer to live in the house and they have to put up most of the 5% down payment. From then on all expenses are split. They can avoid putting down about 25% on a loan and I will be able to learn from them while still earning income. 

Are there any flaws in this plan? To be more clear I have a good credit score so credit score is not an issue and I have decent income, so DTI should not be an issue. I understand that I may want to avoid partnering if I do not need to but I live in Northeast New Jersey where the houses are extremely expensive and I would like this possibility to learn from someone. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...