Investment rule of thumb Calculations

Investment rule of thumb Calculations

Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 6 votes

Let’s make a list of rule of thumb calculation post. Also, Correct me if I’m wrong.

70% rule: ARVx70%-Repair cost= Purchase Price

1% rule: 1% of Purchase = monthly rent est.

50% rule: 50% of rent goes toward expenses. Not including debt services/mortgage payment

Please add to post with other rules of thumb for investing...

0Reply
32 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y

    Why?

    Let me give you an example of why I strongly dislike (actually worse) these "rules of thumb".  

    Here's an example of a property.  Based on the above rules of thumb, what conclusion as far as buying or not buying, can you draw from these numbers...and this is an actual property I just ran across:

    ARV = $160k
    Repairs = $20k
    70% Rule:  ($160k x 70%) - $20k = Offer = $92k
    1% Rule:  Offer x 1% = Monthly Rent = $920/m
    50% Rule:  Rent x 50% = Expenses (not including mortgage) = $460/m

    Projected CF:  Rent - expenses - Mortgage = CF => $920 - $460 - $350 = $110/month *
    *  Subtract for any "fudge factors", like vacancy, etc...

    With this info, what would you do next?

    Here are the actual numbers:
    ARV: $160k
    AP/Offer:  $160k (offer full AP)
    Rent:  $1800/m
    Expenses (wo/mortgage):  $575/m
    Mortgage Pmt:  $611/m
    Actual CF:  $614/m

    There's only one rule of thumb that is valid...and that's the carpenter's RoT that says, "don't hit your thumb with your hammer".

  • Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Joe Villeneuve

    Great example. Thanks for sharing your numbers. Here to learn a bunch!

    What do you do to sift through so many potential properties for sale?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bobby Gill:

    @Joe Villeneuve

    Great example. Thanks for sharing your numbers. Here to learn a bunch!

    What do you do to sift through so many potential properties for sale?

     I analyze markets, meaning I analyze all the properties in that market proactively...before they are for sale, based on the sold comps and the rental comps.  Then, when a property is listed for sale, I already know what to look for as a maximum asking price.  If the property is less than that price, I make an offer, if it's over it, I walk down the street.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.