Anyone have a good technique to find a good GC for full rehab when out of state?
We have a house under contract and need to find someone that can handle a full rehab of a large luxury SFR. We've asked our realtor who has experience with flips but he only gave us one. I'd like to build an applicant pool and interview to find the right fit. Any ideas on creative ways to get the right referrals? The assumption is Google isn't going to cut it.
Hopefully I can help you get this started.
Maybe asking the BP community which state?
I really think you might get some response.
Or maybe which city.
@David Avery , thanks. We are in San Antonio, TX and moving to Ogden, UT. I could repost in the Ogden Forum?
The local Contractor Facebook groups are a good way to shake the trees and at least start putting together a list of numbers to call. Be sure to specify the extent of the work needed. Then it's all about vetting them out to the extent that you feel comfortable bringing them on to your job.
Another way you could track down GCs and trades is to go to your city website's permit portal to see who's recently pulled permits for their work. The city typically has their info posted there so you can get in contact with them.
Key things to look for:
(1) Experience - however much you deem acceptable
(2) References - contact the last 3 customers they did similar work for
(3) Compliance - be sure they're following local rules in regards to permitting/inspections
(4) Specialty - a lot of guys say they do it all. To me that's a red flag. Learn what they do best and what they'll need outside help with.
(5) Management - how do they plan and manage the execution of a project? Which parts of the job would they sub out and how do they manage that along with any permits that might be necessary for that trade work? What's in-house?
(6) Billing - how do they expect to be paid? What's their billing schedule? What is the Quality Assurance agreement? Is their a per diem agreement for past due steps in the project (outside of any crazy weather, health issues, or stop work orders)
These are just some basics. I'm sure there will be a fair amount of additional input, this is a good subject to follow.
I hope this helps!
Ogden Utah, That helps !
I would attend some of the REA investment meetings. Most of them will be in Salt Lake and not in Ogden though.
I can give you the person that will help you the most.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you