Airbnb Investment property in Joshua Tree, CA

Airbnb Investment property in Joshua Tree, CA

Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 10 votes

Hi biggerpockets fam!

I was wondering what you think about purchasing a land to build an air bnb investment property in Joshua Tree, CA. Also, if it would be better to buy an already built property instead. I have no experience in flipping or construction, so any advise would be helpful.

If anyone has an experience in investing in Joshua Tree, please let me know about the pros and cons and what to expect.

Thank you so much in advance!

2Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 259 posts · 153 votes
5y

Hey @Young Kim! There's a gentleman on YouTube that I happened to come across recently that made a video about exactly that. Check out "Robuilt", I think if you search up his channel name and Airbnb you should be able to come across it as well. Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 259 posts · 153 votes
    5y

    Hey @Young Kim! There's a gentleman on YouTube that I happened to come across recently that made a video about exactly that. Check out "Robuilt", I think if you search up his channel name and Airbnb you should be able to come across it as well. Best of luck!

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    5y

    I would investigate Joshua tree with allowing more air bnb . I am told by many investors that they Cutting back . I hope this helps .

  • Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Luke Trovinger Thank you so much for your advise and input. I really appreciate it!

  • Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Jo-Ann Lapin Thank you so much for your advise and input. I really appreciate it!

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 274 posts · 255 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Young Kim:

    Hi biggerpockets fam!

    I was wondering what you think about purchasing a land to build an air bnb investment property in Joshua Tree, CA. Also, if it would be better to buy an already built property instead. I have no experience in flipping or construction, so any advise would be helpful.

    If anyone has an experience in investing in Joshua Tree, please let me know about the pros and cons and what to expect.

    Thank you so much in advance!

    Hi Young, a few things to consider here regarding whether to buy land to build a property as an investment to AirBnB or buy an already built property.

    What is your timeline to go live with your short-term rental?

    Are you looking to build specifically in Joshua Tree, CA? If so, the lead time from start to finish after land acquisition will be about one year with most of that time used for permitting. Joshua Tree, CA falls under San Bernardino County jurisdiction and SB County permitting process is slower than if you purchased land that falls under the town of Yucca Valley or the town of Twentynine Palm's jurisdiction. Keep in mind that there are pieces of land in Yucca Valley and Twentynine Palms that also fall under San Bernardino County's jurisdiction.

    Feel free to shoot me a DM.

  • Rental Property Investor · yucca Valley, CA · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Yucca is way faster as it's an incorporated city, a couple weeks for permits if everything is drawn up correctly.  Anywhere in the high desert is good for rental business right now, you just need to research the nuances of each city when considering time scope for projects.  Check each city + SB County websites for lots of good info, read posts here on BP, go spend a weekend up there getting to know the areas, call local agents and ask questions, etc.  There's no wrong way, just pick a direction and go!

  • Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Jason Kudo Thank you so much for your answer! It was a great information to keep in mind of!

  • Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Dave Stanley @Jason Kudo Thank you so much !

  • Lender · Northridge, CA · Member since 2017 · 186 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    Following this thread. Does anyone know any good agents in Joshua tree? Or recommend any nearby areas?

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 33 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @CJ Berina:

    Following this thread. Does anyone know any good agents in Joshua tree? Or recommend any nearby areas?

    I have some good agents I can refer you to. Shoot me a dm. 

  • Rental Property Investor · yucca Valley, CA · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Chris Carr Shantel Schout has been amazing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 33 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dave Stanley:

    @Chris Carr Shantel Schout has been amazing!

    Haha she represented the seller on our deal

  • Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    @Dave Stanley Yucca Valley is now taking 60 days to get permits.  I know, because I'm in the process myself.  They are getting applications now every day.  Joshua Tree is over saturated, so now people are moving to bordering towns.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 274 posts · 255 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lisa Edwards:

    @Dave Stanley Yucca Valley is now taking 60 days to get permits.  I know, because I'm in the process myself.  They are getting applications now every day.  Joshua Tree is over saturated, so now people are moving to bordering towns.

     I disagree with the over-saturated comment to a certain extent. If the "town" of Joshua Tree is over-saturated, then the entire high desert is over-saturated. The neighboring towns are literally minutes away from each other and people looking to stay in "Joshua Tree" often don't know the difference. What is becoming over-saturated is the idea that you can spend $300-400k and make a nice return. The amount of mediocre AirBnbs that have popped up is definitely something to take notice of and as these properties become more prevalent, the higher end properties will rise to the top of desirable stays. In general, everyone wants to stay in the nicest property that they can afford and when groups get together, the affordability of the nicer properties increases and the lower-end properties will fight each other for bookings. During the peak season, this is less of an issue but during non-peak, lower-end properties that lack the amenities and aesthetic punch offered by the higher end properties suffer from the drop in occupancy the most.

  • Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    @Jason Kudo, some points to consider.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.