Airbnb Investment property in Joshua Tree, CA

9 Replies

Hi biggerpockets fam!

I was wondering what you think about purchasing a land to build an air bnb investment property in Joshua Tree, CA. Also, if it would be better to buy an already built property instead. I have no experience in flipping or construction, so any advise would be helpful.

If anyone has an experience in investing in Joshua Tree, please let me know about the pros and cons and what to expect.

Thank you so much in advance!

Hey @Young Kim ! There's a gentleman on YouTube that I happened to come across recently that made a video about exactly that. Check out "Robuilt", I think if you search up his channel name and Airbnb you should be able to come across it as well. Best of luck!

I would investigate Joshua tree with allowing more air bnb . I am told by many investors that they Cutting back . I hope this helps .

Originally posted by @Young Kim :

Hi biggerpockets fam!

I was wondering what you think about purchasing a land to build an air bnb investment property in Joshua Tree, CA. Also, if it would be better to buy an already built property instead. I have no experience in flipping or construction, so any advise would be helpful.

If anyone has an experience in investing in Joshua Tree, please let me know about the pros and cons and what to expect.

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi Young, a few things to consider here regarding whether to buy land to build a property as an investment to AirBnB or buy an already built property.

What is your timeline to go live with your short-term rental?

Are you looking to build specifically in Joshua Tree, CA? If so, the lead time from start to finish after land acquisition will be about one year with most of that time used for permitting. Joshua Tree, CA falls under San Bernardino County jurisdiction and SB County permitting process is slower than if you purchased land that falls under the town of Yucca Valley or the town of Twentynine Palm's jurisdiction. Keep in mind that there are pieces of land in Yucca Valley and Twentynine Palms that also fall under San Bernardino County's jurisdiction.

Feel free to shoot me a DM.

Yucca is way faster as it's an incorporated city, a couple weeks for permits if everything is drawn up correctly.  Anywhere in the high desert is good for rental business right now, you just need to research the nuances of each city when considering time scope for projects.  Check each city + SB County websites for lots of good info, read posts here on BP, go spend a weekend up there getting to know the areas, call local agents and ask questions, etc.  There's no wrong way, just pick a direction and go!

Following this thread. Does anyone know any good agents in Joshua tree? Or recommend any nearby areas?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you