Is Wholesaling Getting Watered Down?

13 Replies

I started wholesaling about two years ago after graduation but didn’t have any luck on landing my first deal. I’ve gained some more knowledge over the years, and I’m thinking about starting back and trying it virtually as a side hustle. In the city I live in the property value has gone up, and there are plenty of wholesalers trying to get a deal. I was wondering if the business has become somewhat watered down, or is there still plenty of opportunity left?

I cant think of another occupation with a lower barrier to entry than wholesaling.  Even a lemonade stand requires some knowledge and capital investment.  One can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 wholesalers.  

Wholesaling is more than watered down, it’s drowning. If you didn’t have any luck 2 years ago, it’s unlikely you will have luck this go around. The only thing that’s changed since then is there’s more wholesalers, more buyers, and less deals. 

if you started wholesaling 2 years ago and havent done anything , then you havent started wholesaling yet . 

Now if you got your real estate license and sold properties you probably would have made a killing in this market 

Now it takes a steep marketing budget to have a consistent deal flow. It's not impossible but if you stopped 2 years ago then now is even harder. When the market is good everyone is chasing the low/mid hanging fruit. 

Originally posted by @Terrell Garren :

I cant think of another occupation with a lower barrier to entry than wholesaling.  Even a lemonade stand requires some knowledge and capital investment.  One can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 wholesalers.  

LMAO. I'd say coming up with a snazzy wholesaling course and selling that with promises of riches is much easier and more lucrative for 99.95% of the population. For the other 0.05% of the population that have the willpower and uncanny sales skills to be successful at this, wholesaling can be the start of their real estate empire.

Originally posted by

LMAO. I'd say coming up with a snazzy wholesaling course and selling that with promises of riches is much easier and more lucrative for 99.95% of the population. For the other 0.05% of the population that have the willpower and uncanny sales skills to be successful at this, wholesaling can be the start of their real estate empire.

Very well said.

 

Originally posted by @Tony Kim :
Originally posted by @Terrell Garren:

I cant think of another occupation with a lower barrier to entry than wholesaling.  Even a lemonade stand requires some knowledge and capital investment.  One can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 wholesalers.  

LMAO. I'd say coming up with a snazzy wholesaling course and selling that with promises of riches is much easier and more lucrative for 99.95% of the population. For the other 0.05% of the population that have the willpower and uncanny sales skills to be successful at this, wholesaling can be the start of their real estate empire.

Nah, most people who want to do wholesaling don't even have money to purchase a course. And they think they already know enough to wholesale. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you