Happy Friday- I have a Q about using LLC's for anonymity

2 Replies

I've got a rental property in my name. If I quit claim the deed to my Ga LLC (which is owned by a WY LLC w/ a paid-for nominee), would this keep my name out of the public? Further, would an attorney be able to drudge my name up or would it be anonymous to him/her as well? No lawsuits pending or anything, just protecting for the future.
Thx!
Scott

I've heard that quitclaiming to your LLC is not much liability protection and it certainly isn't anonymous.

LLCs are good for liability protection, but any lawyer worth his salt can hunt down the owner of any LLC. Although I will say you'll be less "sue-able" because some people won't have the budget or time to bother trying to find who to sue.

Your GA llc is registered with the GA Secretary of State and typically Members, agent for service, address, etc. are all there for public viewing. 
Besides…..the property is in your name now, that deed transfer to your llc will be recorded there forever…..it’s obvious who is behind the llc….forever. 
Besides #2…..if your llc is ever sued, and you defend it, you have to step out from behind the curtain at some point, the other side/judge will make sure of it. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you