John Martinez vs. Steve Trang REI sales training

6 Replies

I paid for many real estate courses and always found that the advertising hype is always far better than the course and I never went to a real estate seminar or real estate course where they taught something I didn't already know and never went to a real estate course where you can't find what you need to know by buying Kindle books on Amazon for about $20.

What I am going to say is a fact. I worked with a stock and option training instructor who published 7 books. This trainer used Ghost Writers for every book. He did spend a few hours working with the Ghost Writer to explain his premise for the first book. Then, the Ghost Writers us the little information he gives and the Ghost Writes go through books written by other authors and they re-write exactly what every other book Ghost Writer is writing.

The problem with every book written for real estate investing is it is very clear to see that the authors want ti fill the book with crap so they can get the crap to fill 150+ pages. So, the authors (Ghost Writers) start with maybe a different slant for knowledge already in every book for the first one or two chapters and then you can see the authors (Ghost Writers) change from some half-*** information to a multitude of subjects where you are absolutely positive that the author (Ghost Writers) cannot be experts in that many crappy areas of real estate.

So...this thread is not about books, but the exact same crap applies to courses you pay for. The gurus hawking their crap usually learned enough just to impress you and then they need to use useless crap to make it appear you are getting a bang for your buck.

Save your money and use is wisely to make more money for you and not for someone who probably purchased 1 property and decided to sell courses about real estate.

"Don't believe anything you hear and maybe you can believe up to 2# of what you actually see".

Originally posted by @Jack Orthman :

I paid for many real estate courses and always found that the advertising hype is always far better than the course and I never went to a real estate seminar or real estate course where they taught something I didn't already know and never went to a real estate course where you can't find what you need to know by buying Kindle books on Amazon for about $20.

What I am going to say is a fact. I worked with a stock and option training instructor who published 7 books. This trainer used Ghost Writers for every book. He did spend a few hours working with the Ghost Writer to explain his premise for the first book. Then, the Ghost Writers us the little information he gives and the Ghost Writes go through books written by other authors and they re-write exactly what every other book Ghost Writer is writing.

The problem with every book written for real estate investing is it is very clear to see that the authors want ti fill the book with crap so they can get the crap to fill 150+ pages. So, the authors (Ghost Writers) start with maybe a different slant for knowledge already in every book for the first one or two chapters and then you can see the authors (Ghost Writers) change from some half-*** information to a multitude of subjects where you are absolutely positive that the author (Ghost Writers) cannot be experts in that many crappy areas of real estate.

So...this thread is not about books, but the exact same crap applies to courses you pay for. The gurus hawking their crap usually learned enough just to impress you and then they need to use useless crap to make it appear you are getting a bang for your buck.

Save your money and use is wisely to make more money for you and not for someone who probably purchased 1 property and decided to sell courses about real estate.

"Don't believe anything you hear and maybe you can believe up to 2# of what you actually see".

I hear what you're saying and I know you have good intentions. Having said that Steve Trang and John Martinez are legit and both train hundreds of real estate investors and their acquisition teams with excellent results. I know BP is against the gurus or whatever but I know plenty of investors who pay for coaching, mentorship, etc. and are doing well for themselves. I've paid for courses and mentorship (hi Jerryll) before that have really helped me and were 5 times more expensive than what John and Steve are offering and if I could do it over again I would. That's how much it has helped me and my investment career. I'm always looking to grow my skillset, even if I have to pay for it. Looking for advice from people who have actually used either of these guys, don't really want to make this a flame war. I've already vetted both of these guys and have been familiar with them for years. 

Originally posted by @Duane Alexander :
Originally posted by @Jack Orthman:

I paid for many real estate courses and always found that the advertising hype is always far better than the course and I...

You are absolutely right and I am wrong because I don't one thing about those guys. You have a great philosophy in regards to paying to learn as much as you can.

In 1972 I paid $6,000 to go to a one-day seminar and everyone said I was crazy, but I learned many things that day that stuck in my head and many of those things helped helped me to make my business much more successful.

I wrote what I did because I'm burned out from going to too many real estate club meetings where they bring in snake oil salesment, but I should have stated that there are some legitimate companies.

Originally posted by @Duane Alexander :

I paid for many real estate courses and always found that the advertising hype is always far better than the course and I...

You are absolutely right and I am wrong because I don't one thing about those guys. You have a great philosophy in regards to paying to learn as much as you can.

In 1972 I paid $6,000 to go to a one-day seminar and everyone said I was crazy, but I learned many things that day that stuck in my head and many of those things helped helped me to make my business much more successful.

I wrote what I did because I'm burned out from going to too many real estate club meetings where they bring in snake oil salesment, but I should have stated that there are some legitimate companies.

Originally posted by @Duane Alexander:

They are both great! We use both, actually. The John Martinez gives a better understanding of the psychological aspect of decision making, but Steve Trang has better real world application, in my opinion. Also there is more interaction with the Steve Trang training, during the weekly zooms. 

We have literally made millions using the sales techniques from both. 

Either way, you can’t go wrong

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you