Out of state investing

28 Replies

Hi,

I want to invest out of state in Baltimore, MD.

I currently live in DC, but I plan to drive around the Baltimore, MD area to see what areas I would like invest in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some good neighborhoods, or any advice about investing in Baltimore! Anything you give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Baltimore's neighborhoods are all very heterogeneous and its hard to offer advice without knowing your goals and budget. Flipping or Holding? Budget? Time Frame? Primarily looking for cash flow or appreciation?

Happy to help offer some guidance but need some more info first. Good luck!

I´ve never heard anyone from DC refer to Baltimore as out of state. LOL 

Either way, its a lot of money to be made there but there´s also a lot you need to know. Plenty of the investors here operate in Baltimore including me. Id suggest you read a lot of the posts here relating to that area, research and ask tons of questions from the experienced investors. It can get sticky if not done right.  Good Luck. 

@Justin Hayden

Hello Justin,

I have been investing in Baltimore since 2018. I am currently finishing up a house in Dundalk (Baltimore County) and just purchased a HUD home in 21229 in the West Hills area. As mentioned Baltimore is a block per block city. Best to do your due diligence and ask the "right local investors" for advice before buying in the wrong area.

Originally posted by @Justin Hayden :

Hi,

I want to invest out of state in Baltimore, MD.

I currently live in DC, but I plan to drive around the Baltimore, MD area to see what areas I would like invest in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some good neighborhoods, or any advice about investing in Baltimore! Anything you give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't invest there but you should be aware of this first right of refusal statute in Baltimore City

https://lebovitzfamilylaw.com/...  

@Justin Hayden - I did not, reason being that at least for my property, it wasn't worth enough money to make it worth refinancing....i bought cheap, put some work in but end of the day houses are only in the 100K range...so its hard to make refinancing worth it when you account for closing costs....BUT area rents in the $1200-1500 range and you can find properties ready or close to ready to rent around $100K

What price range though??

How much you want to spend makes a huge difference in Baltimore,so give more details, easier for us to give you ideas.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you