House with prior Fire damage

5 Replies

If a house had fire damage and an investor e.g. myself remodels and brings it up to code, when I flip, do I disclose to the buyer that the house had prior fire damage ? I am new to investing so just trying to think of how this scenario would be handled. Thank you all in advance!

Hi @Brenda Akinyi , For me Yes, you need to disclose it to the buyer because if they find out on their own, they may wonder what else you are hiding from them and decide not to buy your house. Well, I believe that most experts agree – it is better to be fully transparent with buyers. Tell them there was a fire and then explain exactly what you did to repair the damage. 
Also, keep in mind that in most states you are required by law to tell buyers about a fire. Trying to keep a fire secret could lead to penalties down the road.

Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house

@Brenda Akinyi I bought a property in July that the inspection turned up fire damage under the eaves of both buildings. It is a 3 unit with 2 units in the main building and a 1 unit cottage. The inspector climbed into tiny crawl spaces with his flash light and said the beams were huge and that they were blackened but still thoroughly intact and there was no structural damage to either building. I inquired at the local historical society, it’s a small town, and was told there had been a fire there in the 50s and the family had rebuilt.

The inspector said it was likely the seller was unaware of the damage.

In the future I will likely disclose this now that I know about it. I am not disclosing it to tenants or future potential tenants.

@Brenda Akinyi Ask yourself this question:  If I were buying a house that had been rehabbed following a fire, would I want to know about it? 

Treating others the way you would want to be treated is always a good way to go. 

If that's not convincing enough, then remember that the best way to avoid liability (lawsuits) is to disclose, disclose, disclose - and do it in writing so you have a paper trail if a defect comes up later.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you