I have a mixed use building with an fha loan that has at least 100k of equity. I have been trying to figure a way to use the equity for another investment property. But a heloc with a mixed use is impossible. Also do not want to cash out refi because I have a 2.75 rate. Debating if I should use a cross collateral loan. Willing to do more research on other loan products as well if anyone has suggestions. This property's deed is under an LLC .
Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Cross collateralization generally is 80% loan to value on the initial property. Getting a residential appraisal with the comparables you need is difficult as not many mixed use properties under 4 units close in a given city. Get a realtor to pull some comps- closed sale with a loan in past three months with the same mixed use, unit count, and square footage in past three months.
Keep the existing loan until the cows come home 2.75 is almost like free. FHA with deed in LLC is a recipe for trouble, when you recorded the transfer deed to LLC it's considered a sale by the FHA/HUD rules. Also your insurance coverage had to remain in the person's name and loan number as a residential policy but the LLC changes the hazard insurance to need a commercial policy. If lender or servicer finds out that you aren't fully covered they will put force place insurance and they have the right to call the loan.
Cross collateralization generally is 80% loan to value on the initial property. Getting a residential appraisal with the comparables you need is difficult as not many mixed use properties under 4 units close in a given city. Get a realtor to pull some comps- closed sale with a loan in past three months with the same mixed use, unit count, and square footage in past three months.
Keep the existing loan until the cows come home 2.75 is almost like free. FHA with deed in LLC is a recipe for trouble, when you recorded the transfer deed to LLC it's considered a sale by the FHA/HUD rules. Also your insurance coverage had to remain in the person's name and loan number as a residential policy but the LLC changes the hazard insurance to need a commercial policy. If lender or servicer finds out that you aren't fully covered they will put force place insurance and they have the right to call the loan.
Thank you! Yes I’m not sure how my lender got this property under an fha loan. Something about the residential space being more than 50% of the building. But I do pay commercial real estate taxes/ insurance/ and sewer. Only the mortgage is an fha.
I have talked to another lender and told them the whole situation. I just wanted more information on the cross collateral loan. From my understanding I keep my fha loan. But the new lender puts a lien on the current property and uses the equity for the down payment on the new property. So it’s 100% financed?
Cross collateralization generally is 80% loan to value on the initial property. Getting a residential appraisal with the comparables you need is difficult as not many mixed use properties under 4 units close in a given city. Get a realtor to pull some comps- closed sale with a loan in past three months with the same mixed use, unit count, and square footage in past three months.
Keep the existing loan until the cows come home 2.75 is almost like free. FHA with deed in LLC is a recipe for trouble, when you recorded the transfer deed to LLC it's considered a sale by the FHA/HUD rules. Also your insurance coverage had to remain in the person's name and loan number as a residential policy but the LLC changes the hazard insurance to need a commercial policy. If lender or servicer finds out that you aren't fully covered they will put force place insurance and they have the right to call the loan.
Thank you! Yes I’m not sure how my lender got this property under an fha loan. Something about the residential space being more than 50% of the building. But I do pay commercial real estate taxes/ insurance/ and sewer. Only the mortgage is an fha.
I have talked to another lender and told them the whole situation. I just wanted more information on the cross collateral loan. From my understanding I keep my fha loan. But the new lender puts a lien on the current property and uses the equity for the down payment on the new property. So it’s 100% financed?
My mortgage company and insurance company knows it’s under an LLC as long as I’m an additional insurer on the policy it’s fine I’m told.
Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
I'm always a bit apprehensive to cross-collateralize, primarily because it might be difficult to do a partial release if you want to sell one of the properties that are involved. We just closed a construction loan where our borrower was building on three side-by-side-by-side lots. We built in a clause where they could pay 120% of the proportional amount to release each property as they sell. Definitely think ahead about that scenario if you decide to blanket multiple properties on one loan.
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
3y
@Justin Chan
What we have done in the past is do the loan and with a personal guarantee we have been able to do an indemnity deed on the other asset
For example we lent out money on a Brrr property to an LLC, did a personally guarantee and then an indemnity deed on another property so we were locked in that lien position on the other asset because it had substantial equity.
Upon completion of rehab the borrower will refinance which will satisfy the loan
I'm always a bit apprehensive to cross-collateralize, primarily because it might be difficult to do a partial release if you want to sell one of the properties that are involved. We just closed a construction loan where our borrower was building on three side-by-side-by-side lots. We built in a clause where they could pay 120% of the proportional amount to release each property as they sell. Definitely think ahead about that scenario if you decide to blanket multiple properties on one loan.
What we have done in the past is do the loan and with a personal guarantee we have been able to do an indemnity deed on the other asset
For example we lent out money on a Brrr property to an LLC, did a personally guarantee and then an indemnity deed on another property so we were locked in that lien position on the other asset because it had substantial equity.
Upon completion of rehab the borrower will refinance which will satisfy the loan
Happy to chat further
That is a very interesting approach. That’s sounds like a strategy I would be interested in for sure!
Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
To add on to posts above, I am not sure you can cross-collateralize a mixed-use property with residential assets (SFR, 1-4 unit), since residential assets are securitized as different mortgaged back securities than commercial assets.