Leveraging Equity Across 4 Properties to Finance $1.35M Acquisition. Structuring
New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 10 votes
Hi all,
I’m looking for guidance on how to most effectively leverage equity across my current portfolio to finance a new acquisition, and would appreciate perspectives from those who have executed similar structures.
Current Position
- Portfolio: 4 residential rental properties (Detroit metro area)
- Estimated portfolio value: ~$750K
- Estimated equity: ~$300K
- All properties are cash-flowing with stable occupancy
- I’ve continued to invest in maintenance and upgrades to support valuation and rent growth
Target Deal
- Location: Ohio
- Asset type: cash-flowing small commercial business (real estate + operating component)
- Purchase price: ~$1.35M
Objective
I am looking to minimize dilution of ownership while still structuring a financeable and scalable deal. Ideally, I would like to:
- Leverage existing equity rather than fully raising outside capital
- Maintain flexibility for future acquisitions
- Avoid overleveraging any single asset
Key Questions
- Best structure to unlock equity:
- Cash-out refinance vs HELOC vs blanket loan across multiple properties
- Has anyone successfully cross-collateralized multiple residential assets for a commercial acquisition?
- Lender strategy:
- Is it more effective to work with local banks in my current market vs lenders in the target market?
- Any experience with regional banks or credit unions being flexible on cross-collateralized structures?
- Blended capital stack:
- For those who have done similar deals, how have you balanced:
- personal equity
- senior debt
- investor capital (debt vs equity)
- What has been most attractive to investors while preserving sponsor upside?
- Risk management considerations:
- How do you think about ring-fencing risk when tying multiple properties into one deal?
- Any structuring approaches that mitigate downside exposure?
- Alternative approaches:
- Asset-based lending against portfolio equity
- Portfolio-level DSCR loans
- Other creative structures I should be considering
I have a background in finance and underwriting, so comfortable with more advanced structures—just looking to pressure test the most efficient path forward based on real-world experience.
Appreciate any insights, especially from those who have scaled from small residential portfolios into larger commercial or mixed-use acquisitions.
Thanks in advance.