Dominion Financial Services: 5 Months of Delays, Broken Commitments, and Zero Account

Dominion Financial Services: 5 Months of Delays, Broken Commitments, and Zero Account

Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 5 votes

I am a real estate developer who engaged Dominion Financial Services for both a construction loan and a DSCR takeout loan on the same property. My experience with the permanent financing process was one of the worst professional ordeals I have encountered in years of development. Other investors deserve to know what they are getting into.

Here is what actually happened:

In December 2025, I began the DSCR refinance process with Dominion to retire my construction loan. On January 8, 2026, Dominion's loan officer committed in writing — not paraphrased, a direct written commitment — that the loan would close within 10 days of appraisal completion. The appraisal was ordered January 16 and finalized February 5. The committed close date was February 15, 2026.

Dominion did not close on February 15. They did not close in February. They did not close in March. As of this writing, the loan never closed — and Dominion has walked away from the transaction entirely, after five months of my time, energy, and money.

Every delay traces directly back to Dominion:

• Dominion's appraiser submitted an incomplete report. The correction process consumed 17 days.

• On January 26, Dominion was notified of an incorrect property address in their system. I provided documentation the next day without being asked. Dominion told me on January 30 the issue was resolved. It was not. When I followed up on March 16, I learned the address was still unresolved — 49 days after they first knew, 47 days after I supplied the fix. Dominion never told me. I found out only by demanding an update.

• Dominion issued document requests in at least five separate rounds over two-plus months instead of providing a complete checklist upfront. Every time I received a request, I responded same-day or next-day without exception.

• From mid-March onward, Dominion sent daily updates stating nothing was needed from my side — while the loan sat internally stalled.

• Dominion never set a closing date. Not once in five months.

The financial damage is real and ongoing. Every day since February 15, I have been paying 11.99% interest on the construction loan instead of the 6.495% permanent rate I was promised — over $100 per day. That excess cost has already exceeded $5,000 and grows daily. The delays cost me a key vendor relationship. My credit was pulled for a loan that never closed. Starting over with a new lender adds roughly 45 days, meaning total excess interest will approach $10,000–$12,000 before I am done.

When I escalated with a fully documented timeline — dates, email evidence, everything — management offered no credit, proposed a rate higher than what was committed, and ultimately sent a two-sentence email saying they would not be proceeding.

Dominion's tagline is "Fast. Focused. Simple." My experience was the precise opposite of every one of those words.

If you are considering Dominion for any loan product, I strongly recommend against it. Zero Stars.

3Reply
600 views

Most Popular Reply

Robin SimonBusiness Member
Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5mo
Quote from @Joshua Folger:

I am a real estate developer who engaged Dominion Financial Services for both a construction loan and a DSCR takeout loan on the same property. My experience with the permanent financing process was one of the worst professional ordeals I have encountered in years of development. Other investors deserve to know what they are getting into.

Here is what actually happened:

In December 2025, I began the DSCR refinance process with Dominion to retire my construction loan. On January 8, 2026, Dominion's loan officer committed in writing — not paraphrased, a direct written commitment — that the loan would close within 10 days of appraisal completion. The appraisal was ordered January 16 and finalized February 5. The committed close date was February 15, 2026.

Dominion did not close on February 15. They did not close in February. They did not close in March. As of this writing, the loan never closed — and Dominion has walked away from the transaction entirely, after five months of my time, energy, and money.

Every delay traces directly back to Dominion:

• Dominion's appraiser submitted an incomplete report. The correction process consumed 17 days.

• On January 26, Dominion was notified of an incorrect property address in their system. I provided documentation the next day without being asked. Dominion told me on January 30 the issue was resolved. It was not. When I followed up on March 16, I learned the address was still unresolved — 49 days after they first knew, 47 days after I supplied the fix. Dominion never told me. I found out only by demanding an update.

• Dominion issued document requests in at least five separate rounds over two-plus months instead of providing a complete checklist upfront. Every time I received a request, I responded same-day or next-day without exception.

• From mid-March onward, Dominion sent daily updates stating nothing was needed from my side — while the loan sat internally stalled.

• Dominion never set a closing date. Not once in five months.

The financial damage is real and ongoing. Every day since February 15, I have been paying 11.99% interest on the construction loan instead of the 6.495% permanent rate I was promised — over $100 per day. That excess cost has already exceeded $5,000 and grows daily. The delays cost me a key vendor relationship. My credit was pulled for a loan that never closed. Starting over with a new lender adds roughly 45 days, meaning total excess interest will approach $10,000–$12,000 before I am done.

When I escalated with a fully documented timeline — dates, email evidence, everything — management offered no credit, proposed a rate higher than what was committed, and ultimately sent a two-sentence email saying they would not be proceeding.

Dominion's tagline is "Fast. Focused. Simple." My experience was the precise opposite of every one of those words.

If you are considering Dominion for any loan product, I strongly recommend against it. Zero Stars.


 Sorry to hear - this can definitely happen and its valuable to provide such a breakdown for other investors - a lot of times its hard to decipher "he said she said" in these situations but you seem to have 99+ percentile documentation and it looks like you did get screwed from this vantage point.

I might be able to help, let me know if your still in need of salvaging

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Joshua Folger:

    I am a real estate developer who engaged Dominion Financial Services for both a construction loan and a DSCR takeout loan on the same property. My experience with the permanent financing process was one of the worst professional ordeals I have encountered in years of development. Other investors deserve to know what they are getting into.

    Here is what actually happened:

    In December 2025, I began the DSCR refinance process with Dominion to retire my construction loan. On January 8, 2026, Dominion's loan officer committed in writing — not paraphrased, a direct written commitment — that the loan would close within 10 days of appraisal completion. The appraisal was ordered January 16 and finalized February 5. The committed close date was February 15, 2026.

    Dominion did not close on February 15. They did not close in February. They did not close in March. As of this writing, the loan never closed — and Dominion has walked away from the transaction entirely, after five months of my time, energy, and money.

    Every delay traces directly back to Dominion:

    • Dominion's appraiser submitted an incomplete report. The correction process consumed 17 days.

    • On January 26, Dominion was notified of an incorrect property address in their system. I provided documentation the next day without being asked. Dominion told me on January 30 the issue was resolved. It was not. When I followed up on March 16, I learned the address was still unresolved — 49 days after they first knew, 47 days after I supplied the fix. Dominion never told me. I found out only by demanding an update.

    • Dominion issued document requests in at least five separate rounds over two-plus months instead of providing a complete checklist upfront. Every time I received a request, I responded same-day or next-day without exception.

    • From mid-March onward, Dominion sent daily updates stating nothing was needed from my side — while the loan sat internally stalled.

    • Dominion never set a closing date. Not once in five months.

    The financial damage is real and ongoing. Every day since February 15, I have been paying 11.99% interest on the construction loan instead of the 6.495% permanent rate I was promised — over $100 per day. That excess cost has already exceeded $5,000 and grows daily. The delays cost me a key vendor relationship. My credit was pulled for a loan that never closed. Starting over with a new lender adds roughly 45 days, meaning total excess interest will approach $10,000–$12,000 before I am done.

    When I escalated with a fully documented timeline — dates, email evidence, everything — management offered no credit, proposed a rate higher than what was committed, and ultimately sent a two-sentence email saying they would not be proceeding.

    Dominion's tagline is "Fast. Focused. Simple." My experience was the precise opposite of every one of those words.

    If you are considering Dominion for any loan product, I strongly recommend against it. Zero Stars.


     Sorry to hear - this can definitely happen and its valuable to provide such a breakdown for other investors - a lot of times its hard to decipher "he said she said" in these situations but you seem to have 99+ percentile documentation and it looks like you did get screwed from this vantage point.

    I might be able to help, let me know if your still in need of salvaging

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    I have heard very similar stories from Dominion. 

    It is not uncommon for direct lenders to bait clients with attractive terms, stall and waste time then at the very last minute find an investor that will actually buy their note, and quote you a higher rate and fees, than what you initially anticipated.. 

    Working with a direct lender is a hit or miss. If you have a mortgage background or have worked with several different DSCR Lenders already, then it may be easier for you to catch red flags early on..

    I am very sorry this happened to you, and hopefully you are still able to pay off this loan on time. Happy to chat if you need assistance 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:

      I have heard very similar stories from Dominion. 

      It is not uncommon for direct lenders to bait clients with attractive terms, stall and waste time then at the very last minute find an investor that will actually buy their note, and quote you a higher rate and fees, than what you initially anticipated.. 

      Working with a direct lender is a hit or miss. If you have a mortgage background or have worked with several different DSCR Lenders already, then it may be easier for you to catch red flags early on..

      I am very sorry this happened to you, and hopefully you are still able to pay off this loan on time. Happy to chat if you need assistance 


      could it be that your property is located in their market in maryland /Balt which just got hammered for a massive DSCR fraud and the buyers of the paper have redlined the market and the state.. that could be an issue dont know but it could be part of the problem
  • Nick BelskyBusiness Member
    Residential and Commercial Broker · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    5mo

    @Joshua Folger

    Hate to hear this.  They have very attractive advertisements in terms of leverage and rates.  I gave them a try with a few clients.  Pulled every single loan out and went to other lenders shortly after initial submissions.  They are incapable of basic lender function or underwriting.  I'll never attempt to do business with them again, but I have met a few clients who love them... from a broker's perspective, hard pass.  There are too many other fish in the sea and in better waters.

    Cheers!

    Belsky Mortgage, LLC527 Reviews
  • Frankie VozziBusiness Member
    Member since 2025 · 346 posts · 86 votes
    5mo

    That’s a tough situation, especially with a stabilized asset ready for takeout.

    Unfortunately, I’ve seen similar issues where timelines slip internally and communication breaks down, and the borrower ends up carrying expensive debt way longer than expected.

    At that point it’s less about the deal and more about execution on the lending side.

    For DSCR takeouts, what usually matters most is:

    • Clean appraisal + stabilized rents
    • Clear borrower profile
    • Lender that can actually move when everything is in place

    Sounds like your deal checked those boxes, which makes the delay even more frustrating.

    Have you already started the process with another lender?

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2mo

    Well it looks like they just rolled out a new "AI Native" website so maybe that will fix all the problems..

  • Banker · MA · Member since 2026 · 120 posts · 33 votes
    2mo

    What you've described is unfortunately a pattern that shows up in hard-money and specialty lending when operational infrastructure doesn't match the complexity of construction-to-perm deals  and it's genuinely damaging when you're carrying construction loan carry costs while a takeout lender stalls.

    A few things stand out from your timeline that are worth naming for others reading this:

    **The "10-day close after appraisal" commitment is a red flag in hindsight.** On a DSCR refinance of a newly constructed property, appraisals frequently require additional review (1004D, rent schedule reconciliation, comparable scarcity in new construction), and a lender who issues that kind of written timeline without caveats is either overconfident or not thinking through the process carefully.

    **Piecemeal document requests are a process failure, full stop.** A lender who has been doing DSCR loans at volume should be able to issue a complete conditions checklist at origination. Five rounds over two-plus months tells you their process isn't systematized. On a deal this complex, that's not a minor inconvenience it compounds carry costs every week.

    **The address issue is the most troubling.** That's a title/data integrity problem that any competent processor should have escalated immediately. Forty-nine days of silence while you're waiting to close is indefensible.

    For anyone evaluating DSCR lenders for a construction takeout specifically, the questions I'd ask upfront: Do they have in-house underwriting or broker out? What's their actual average close time on new-construction DSCR (not a pitch number — ask for a sample of recent closings)? Will they commit to a complete conditions list within 72 hours of application submission?

    After 31 years in the mortgage business, the deals I've seen blow up most often aren't because of borrower issues — they're lender process failures that could have been caught in week one. Sorry you went through this.

    ---

    Jim Driscoll

  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2024 · 76 posts · 23 votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Joshua Folger:

    I am a real estate developer who engaged Dominion Financial Services for both a construction loan and a DSCR takeout loan on the same property. My experience with the permanent financing process was one of the worst professional ordeals I have encountered in years of development. Other investors deserve to know what they are getting into.

    Here is what actually happened:

    In December 2025, I began the DSCR refinance process with Dominion to retire my construction loan. On January 8, 2026, Dominion's loan officer committed in writing — not paraphrased, a direct written commitment — that the loan would close within 10 days of appraisal completion. The appraisal was ordered January 16 and finalized February 5. The committed close date was February 15, 2026.

    Dominion did not close on February 15. They did not close in February. They did not close in March. As of this writing, the loan never closed — and Dominion has walked away from the transaction entirely, after five months of my time, energy, and money.

    Every delay traces directly back to Dominion:

    • Dominion's appraiser submitted an incomplete report. The correction process consumed 17 days.

    • On January 26, Dominion was notified of an incorrect property address in their system. I provided documentation the next day without being asked. Dominion told me on January 30 the issue was resolved. It was not. When I followed up on March 16, I learned the address was still unresolved — 49 days after they first knew, 47 days after I supplied the fix. Dominion never told me. I found out only by demanding an update.

    • Dominion issued document requests in at least five separate rounds over two-plus months instead of providing a complete checklist upfront. Every time I received a request, I responded same-day or next-day without exception.

    • From mid-March onward, Dominion sent daily updates stating nothing was needed from my side — while the loan sat internally stalled.

    • Dominion never set a closing date. Not once in five months.

    The financial damage is real and ongoing. Every day since February 15, I have been paying 11.99% interest on the construction loan instead of the 6.495% permanent rate I was promised — over $100 per day. That excess cost has already exceeded $5,000 and grows daily. The delays cost me a key vendor relationship. My credit was pulled for a loan that never closed. Starting over with a new lender adds roughly 45 days, meaning total excess interest will approach $10,000–$12,000 before I am done.

    When I escalated with a fully documented timeline — dates, email evidence, everything — management offered no credit, proposed a rate higher than what was committed, and ultimately sent a two-sentence email saying they would not be proceeding.

    Dominion's tagline is "Fast. Focused. Simple." My experience was the precise opposite of every one of those words.

    If you are considering Dominion for any loan product, I strongly recommend against it. Zero Stars.


     Joshua, I am incredibly sorry to hear about this stressful ordeal. Carrying an 11.99% construction rate when you were promised a 6.495% permanent takeout loan is a massive financial hit, and the lack of communication from their team is completely indefensible.

    What you described regarding the piecemeal documentation requests and the unaddressed property address points to a severe operational breakdown on their end. A professional DSCR platform should ideally issue a comprehensive, transparent checklist right at origination so you aren't hit with multi-round delays.

    If you are still trying to salvage the takeout and get out of that construction carry cost, you definitely need to prioritize execution speed and strict process timelines above all else right now. Feel free to send a colleague request if you want to connect—I'd be glad to look over your timeline or share general market insights to help you get this stabilized



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.