The Deal That Looked Too Easy

The Deal That Looked Too Easy

New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 448 votes

A while back, someone brought me a deal that looked almost... effortless. The property checked out, the numbers made sense. The borrower had an answer for every question even before I even asked it.

On paper, it was exactly what you'd hope to see.

The strange part was that we barely had to dig. No loose ends, missing documents, back-and-forth...

For a moment, I caught myself thinking: "This is refreshingly easy." Then I realized what I actually liked about it: the best deals I've worked on weren't perfect. They were transparent.

Good borrowers don't pretend there are no challenges. They tell you what they are before you discover them yourself. That's the conversation I trust.

When someone says, "The roof will probably need attention in a couple of years," or "The appraisal might come in a little light," it doesn't scare me - it tells me they've done the work.

Ironically, I'm much more comfortable with someone who knows where the problems are than with someone who insists there aren't any.

(Have you ever become more confident in a deal because someone was upfront about what could go wrong?)

0Reply
97 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo

    Transparency over puffery anytime!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.