Double Mortagege Insurance Premium (MIP) Charges? FUNDING & FINANCED

Double Mortagege Insurance Premium (MIP) Charges? FUNDING & FINANCED

Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 5 votes

Hi There!

I'm purchasing a home and the lender has sent me over the estimated closing costs.
I noticed on the numbers they have a "PMI, MIP, Funding Fee" and a "PMI,MIP, Funding Fee Financed"

These fees are the exact same amount. I'm financing a FHA loan and understand about having the the MIP fee. I just think they are double charging.

What do you think? Any light on the matter would be great, thanks!

1Reply
31 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Yep, there two MIP fees.....you have an upfront fee of 1.75% that gets rolled into your mortgage, AND you have an annual fee of 0.85% of the loan, payed monthly.

  • Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Wayne Brooks

    Hey Wayne, Thanks for the quick reply! 

    I see the 1.75% rolled into the loan and also a "PMI, MIP, Funding Fee" of 1.75% that I would have to come up at closing... that's what I'm referring and seems like a double charge.

    Here is a pic, does it seem normal?

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 765 votes
    11y

    You are not double paying, this is stating that the amount of the PMI funding fee is being rolled into your loan.

    Total cost/debits (A-H) are 227,030.06

    Total credits (J-N) + P also adds up to 227,030.06

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 765 votes
    11y

    I understand why you're confused though, this is possibly the worst presentation of a closing statement I've ever seen.

    Note that if the PMI, MIP, Funding Fee Financed (n) were to be removed, your cash from borrower (p) would need to increase to match the total credits to the total debits.

  • Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Frank Jiang

    Hey Frank - when you put it as debits and credits, then it made perfect sense! Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.