No way to refinance... really?

9 Replies

My girlfriend really needs to refinance her house/residence.  She's paying a staggering 6.25%.  

1) Her income has dropped to about 1/2 of what it was when she made the orig mortgage

2) The loan-to-value is very close (Balance of mortgage: $207k,  House value: $235k) About 11% Equity

3) She's not missed any payments

I know there are government backed refinance programs out there that would help, but her bank says she doesn't qualify.  They say that her loan is non-complying because the mortgage is a portfolio loan and there is not enough equity for a conventional loan.

Are they blowing smoke to keep that 6.25% note, or is there an option for her somewhere? 

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Bob C. :

My girlfriend really needs to refinance her house/residence.  She's paying a staggering 6.25%.  

1) Her income has dropped to about 1/2 of what it was when she made the orig mortgage

2) The loan-to-value is very close (Balance of mortgage: $207k,  House value: $235k) About 11% Equity

3) She's not missed any payments

I know there are government backed refinance programs out there that would help, but her bank says she doesn't qualify.  They say that her loan is non-complying because the mortgage is a portfolio loan and there is not enough equity for a conventional loan.

Are they blowing smoke to keep that 6.25% note, or is there an option for her somewhere? 

Thanks!

No options that I see. She still needs to qualify for the loan with her income and DTI ratio, even if it is a refi and a lower rate.

The equity aspect should not be an issue since there are conventional loan refinances that can go to 90% LTV and she can also refinance into an FHA loan that allows higher LTV. The only issue with this is that it would add or increase her PMI which will then affect her DTI.

Unfortunately as Brie said she still has to qualify income wise which i assume will not be possible since her salary is half of what it was when she originally got the loan. If it is going to be a lot of trouble paying the monthly payment i would suggest she look into other avenues of either raising her income or selling the house. 

She could also rent out rooms in the house to help pay the monthly payments.

Just researched SoFi, which says if she has a degree from their list of colleges, they are more flexible with DTI and equity and provide low-cost loans, supposedly a new alternative in lending. Worth checking out if she has a degree.

@Bob C.  Depending on her income and debt, she might qualify for a refi. Her current bank is not interested in a refi, because they are getting a killing on the current rate she is locked into.

Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

Federal NMLS# 1374243

@ Bob C. She should shop around there are programs out there that can help her. If a person in CT that is unemployed can get help she can too. There are many programs out there. I would suggest that she call Prime Lending they have very good programs and if they cannot help they will point her in the right direction. The Prime Lending that I know that works well is in Shelton, CT 203-944-9805.

Good luck.

Renita

hi bob. here is what i see going on. banks are in the market to make money, simple as that. when you open an account at a bank, they are federal regulated to keep only 3% of that account balance in cash actually at the bank. the other 97%, they can loan out at rates higher than what they are paying you on your savings account. hence, they are making money from you. so, that being said, what they have here is a producing loan at a rate 3% higher than the average lending rate right now. they are guaranteed payment, based on the fact that she has never missed a payment, and they are collecting more in interest than they would if they refinanced for her. from their point of view, why would they want to refinance for her????

here is my advice, try another bank, go into every open door and ask what they can do for her. just because one bank says no, doesn't mean all of them will

I agree with the sentiment of @Mark Elliott but you can save some effort by using a mortgage broker.  Their job is to find the best loan.  They of coarse get paid for their effort but they have a knowledge that would allow them to find financing in likely much less time than going to every bank or even calling every bank.  

I am not from Connecticut area so I have no mortgage broker from that area to recommend but I suspect if you asked for some recommendations for mortgage brokers in Connecticut on Bigger Pockets you would get some. 

I have used Casa Financial Services in So Cal (mailto:[email protected]) but do not know if they can help in Connecticut. 

@Renita Lathrop and @Dan Heuschele ,

To make the @ work, do the following:
Hold down the shift key and type @?
Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.
Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.
If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.
Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.
Raymond