• Web Developer, Real Estate Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Mortgage approval as a temporary employee

Joe Henry
  • Web Developer, Real Estate Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted Jan 22 2016, 14:21

Are temporary full-time employees eligible for conventional, FHA or other types of home mortgages? I live in Florida, if that matters.

One broker I spoke with stated he could not work with me, and that I wouldn't be able to get any conventional or other loan, except private financing because I'm technically a temp employee.

I've read online elsewhere though that you can still get a mortgage, but it will be harder (have to have good credit score, possibly put more down, etc). Some of these sources are a few years old though. I have great credit and salary.

I have gotten approved by a couple of brokers. All they asked was if I was a W2 employee. I'm wondering if when they do a job verification they'll deny me if they see I'm temporary?

I want to make a offers on a couple properties, but am not sure what to do because of this situation. Should I move ahead and make offers, counting on the pre-approvals I've received? Would there be any costs I'd end up losing if my loan falls through because I'm temp? I don't want to lose some good deals, but also don't want to be reckless.

In the mean time I'm working with my company to try and change my employment status, and am also looking at private financing.

I appreciate any advice on this.

Loading replies...