Girlfriend as an FHA loan cosigner?

6 Replies

Has anyone ever purchased a single family home with an fha loan and had their grilfriend cosign for them? Can you have a friend cosign, or does it have to be a blood relative? I am in New Jersey.

@Wagner Alcivar , if your girlfriend will be occupying the property with you, then, you should have no problem but not as a non-occupying co-borrower.

Thank you very much @Paul Defngin . It has been difficult finding a cosigner and I think the bank said they might have an issue having her as a cosigner. I have the house under contract so it is a relief that we can get this loan to close now.

@Wagner Alcivar just in case it matters, if you would like for a non-occupying co-borrower to be a part fo your FHA loan it is allowed but it changes your down-payment to 25%....so not really a reason to do it.

So is there any difference in co-signing and co-borrowing for an FHA loan?

@Wagner Alcivar , sorry, if we were not clear.  If your girlfriend will be co-signing and also occupying with you then no problem.  If co-signing but NOT occupying, then you will need to put down 25% down-payment as @Andrew Postell mentioned.  It's the occupancy that will most likely matter to you most and how you proceed with your bank.  Hope that helps.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here