Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Huy Thai
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rosenberg, TX
Votes |
Hard Money: a comprehensive DO's and DON'Ts needed

Huy Thai
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rosenberg, TX
Posted

BPers,

I searched the forums for a list of do's and don'ts for hard money lending without much luck so I'm going to see if I can get all the answers in one place. I am at a point in my REI where all my personal and private money is tied up in equity or stuck in a seasoning period. I want to scale my business with a goal of at least 10 new properties in 2018. The only way to reach this goal is to enlist the help of HM lenders. I get the basics of needing them for the rehab period but what I don't know are the details and what I should be looking for and avoiding. If I'm correct, most get HML's and only pay the interest accrued monthly, but I've also read that some are able to defer all principal and interest payments until the loan is paid back. Some give 100% to buy the house and rehab while others give a percentage. How many points is standard? If i pay for points is that a transaction cost or is that part of the loan somehow? Is the interest based on the deal being funded, my experience, or my credit report? What are the main points I should to compare between lenders? Local or National brand? .... and so on and so on. Those of you who have extensive experience please help us fellow novices from getting taken advantage of.

As and example, the deal I'm currently working on (in Houston, Texas) is a 4-plex of 1 br 1 bths that I'm buying for ~50K. 60K in rehab with an ARV of $175K to 200K (no comps in the area). My credit is in the low 800s. I've got 2 SFH financed, 1 condo free and clear, and 1 SFH in the rehab stage of a BRRRR aside from my financed primary. Oh and I still work a W2.

I'd like to keep this thread educational so please refrain from trying to pitch your services!  Thanks in advance for your help. 

Loading replies...