When purchasing out of state - Local or Out Of State Lender?

5 Replies

Hello BP Community,

When purchasing am residential MF property out of state - Should I use a local lender in California or should I use an out of state lender in the area I am planing to buy in e.g North Carolina? 

Does it even matter? 

- Conventional Lender 20% Down, second property. 

Thanks in advance ;-)

it doesn't matter so long that your lender does the loans in NC

@Roman M. Thanks that is what I thought, but wanted to ask to be sure. 

I appreciate your help and time. 

-Richard 

@Richard Naimy   The lender and loan officer would have to be licensed in the state where you want to buy the property.  If you go to a local lender in CA, there's a good chance they won't be licensed in North Carolina.

Originally posted by @Richard Naimy :

Hello BP Community,

When purchasing am residential MF property out of state - Should I use a local lender in California or should I use an out of state lender in the area I am planing to buy in e.g North Carolina? 

Does it even matter? 

- Conventional Lender 20% Down, second property. 

Thanks in advance ;-)

Local to the real estate in question. Local listing agents in NC will like to see a lender with a physical address in NC, not someone in CA that does not understand the local norms and may screw the transaction up as a result. 

@Richard Naimy Shouldn't matter at all.  The lender should know if they're able give you a loan for whatever property you're trying to buy.  

Personally, I'd find either A) a local NC lender or B) a huge national credit union that can lend (Like PENFED)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here