Loan questions on SMF properties

2 Replies

I'm trying to sink my teeth in on my first investment property but had an issue trying to secure a loan on a SMF. I'm trying to get pre approved before I shop. My intent is to turn one of the units into my own and rent the others out. I don't plan to live there forever, as I ultimately want all units to be rentals. My lender claimed I needed to have 25% down in order for them to issue me a conventional loan. He said the debt to income ratio for an FHA wouldn't work for the loan size I was looking for. Again I'm a newbie, but if I was coming to closing with 10%+ down why can't I get a conventional loan? I was approved for a conventional loan on a SF House from these guys last year which was only $50k less than what I was trying to get for the SMF. Plus my income has increased 16% since that original approval.

Any insight or should I be seeking a second opinion from a different lender to make this work? Really want to get this loan taken care of so I can do some hunting.

Thanks!

@Ryan Campbell I would take a look at another lender.  May find more favorable leverages with a hard money lender who looks more at the deal and not as much on your income potentially?

I have a guy I know that does that sort of thing if you are interested.  Happy to connect you too.

Originally posted by @Ryan Campbell :

I'm trying to sink my teeth in on my first investment property but had an issue trying to secure a loan on a SMF. I'm trying to get pre approved before I shop. My intent is to turn one of the units into my own and rent the others out. I don't plan to live there forever, as I ultimately want all units to be rentals. My lender claimed I needed to have 25% down in order for them to issue me a conventional loan. He said the debt to income ratio for an FHA wouldn't work for the loan size I was looking for. Again I'm a newbie, but if I was coming to closing with 10%+ down why can't I get a conventional loan? I was approved for a conventional loan on a SF House from these guys last year which was only $50k less than what I was trying to get for the SMF. Plus my income has increased 16% since that original approval.

Any insight or should I be seeking a second opinion from a different lender to make this work? Really want to get this loan taken care of so I can do some hunting.

Thanks!

Hi Ryan,

You should be able to find 80% LTV on a 3-4 unit as an owner occupant.

You should also be able to say "assume no less than $X,000" in gross rents from the other units to bump your purchasing power. The preapproval will of course only be as good as that assumption. 

Chris Mason, Lender in CA (#1220177) and California (#1220177)
415-846-9211

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.