Loan questions on SMF properties

2 Replies

I'm trying to sink my teeth in on my first investment property but had an issue trying to secure a loan on a SMF. I'm trying to get pre approved before I shop. My intent is to turn one of the units into my own and rent the others out. I don't plan to live there forever, as I ultimately want all units to be rentals. My lender claimed I needed to have 25% down in order for them to issue me a conventional loan. He said the debt to income ratio for an FHA wouldn't work for the loan size I was looking for. Again I'm a newbie, but if I was coming to closing with 10%+ down why can't I get a conventional loan? I was approved for a conventional loan on a SF House from these guys last year which was only $50k less than what I was trying to get for the SMF. Plus my income has increased 16% since that original approval.

Any insight or should I be seeking a second opinion from a different lender to make this work? Really want to get this loan taken care of so I can do some hunting.

Thanks!

@Ryan Campbell I would take a look at another lender.  May find more favorable leverages with a hard money lender who looks more at the deal and not as much on your income potentially?

I have a guy I know that does that sort of thing if you are interested.  Happy to connect you too.

Originally posted by @Ryan Campbell :

I'm trying to sink my teeth in on my first investment property but had an issue trying to secure a loan on a SMF. I'm trying to get pre approved before I shop. My intent is to turn one of the units into my own and rent the others out. I don't plan to live there forever, as I ultimately want all units to be rentals. My lender claimed I needed to have 25% down in order for them to issue me a conventional loan. He said the debt to income ratio for an FHA wouldn't work for the loan size I was looking for. Again I'm a newbie, but if I was coming to closing with 10%+ down why can't I get a conventional loan? I was approved for a conventional loan on a SF House from these guys last year which was only $50k less than what I was trying to get for the SMF. Plus my income has increased 16% since that original approval.

Any insight or should I be seeking a second opinion from a different lender to make this work? Really want to get this loan taken care of so I can do some hunting.

Thanks!

Hi Ryan,

You should be able to find 80% LTV on a 3-4 unit as an owner occupant.

You should also be able to say "assume no less than $X,000" in gross rents from the other units to bump your purchasing power. The preapproval will of course only be as good as that assumption. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.