• Green Bay, WI
Votes |
FHA Loan to Buy a Second Duplex

Grant K.
  • Professional
  • Green Bay, WI
Posted Jun 21 2018, 08:43

Hello,

I bought my first duplex using a conforming loan bought by Fannie Mae. I've lived there for several years and its worked out great. I'm past the required occupancy period and I don't pay PMI. The rate is 3.75% with 27 years left so it would be hard to justify refinancing. The LTV is maybe 65%. I have no interest in selling it as it has been very profitable.

However, here's my unexpected problem and opportunity. The neighboring property owner is selling due to health reasons and I'd like to buy it if we can come to a reasonable price. I'm told I need a 25% down-payment and significant reserves for another conventional note, which I don't have handy. I could raise it, but it would be expensive money or I'd have to beg the bank of Mom and Dad.

Assuming I qualify financially, would I qualify otherwise for an FHA note if I move there? I know the mortgage insurance expensive (and that's why I didn't go that route on the first one), but I think the FHA note will require a 3.5% downpayment and won't require reserves. What am I missing? Will this work?

I'd rather a reasoned answer here than from a banker who will make a buck off my ignorance!

Thanks

Loading replies...