Are These Interest Rates Especially High?

Are These Interest Rates Especially High?

Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 36 votes

I’m grateful for any insights folks can provide on current interest rates for an investment property. Do the following rates (issued in the past few days) seem especially high:

For a single family rental home:

+200,000 purchase price, 25% down, 30yr 5.25% apr 5.379

+175,000 purchase price, 25% down 30 yr fixed 5.25% apr 5.3895

+150,000 purchase price, 25% down 30yr fixed 5.375% apr 5.55

+125,000 purchase price, 25% down 30 yr fixed 5.375% apr 5.57

For a multi-family (of two to four units):

+250,000 purchase price, 25% down 30 yr fixed 5.5% apr 5.918

+225,000 purchase price, 25% down 30 yr fixed 5.5% apr 5.603

+200,000 purchase price, 30yr fixed 5.5% rate apr 5.918

We were recently pre-approved and when I ultimately drilled down into the current rates our mortgage advisor could offer, this is what we were quoted.

I realize it's only possibly to speak in generalities without having a complete financial picture, but here's a snapshot: my wife and I are applying together and each have credit scores of approximately 800, very low DTI, and strong income/employment histories for the price range of properties we're considering. This loan would be for our first investment property, which we aim to purchase in Spokane, Washington (99205, 99224, 99201, 99203, etc.).

I realize that we should expect higher interest rates compared to someone who is purchasing their primary residence (perhaps 1% for an SFR and up to 1.2% for a multi-family), but I was definitely surprised by these rates—should I be? If so, what would you expect a reasonable rate to be for SFRs in the above price ranges?

Lastly, should I expect most lenders to require 25% down rather than 20% down for an investment property?

Thanks so much for your insights and assistance.

2Reply
124 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Mike S.:

I’m grateful for any insights folks can provide on current interest rates for an investment property. Do the following rates (issued in the past few days) seem especially high:

For a single family rental home:

+200,000 purchase price, 25% down, 30yr 5.25% apr 5.379

+175,000 purchase price, 25% down 30 yr fixed 5.25% apr 5.3895

+150,000 purchase price, 25% down 30yr fixed 5.375% apr 5.55

+125,000 purchase price, 25% down 30 yr fixed 5.375% apr 5.57

For a multi-family (of two to four units):

+250,000 purchase price, 25% down 30 yr fixed 5.5% apr 5.918

+225,000 purchase price, 25% down 30 yr fixed 5.5% apr 5.603

+200,000 purchase price, 30yr fixed 5.5% rate apr 5.918

We were recently pre-approved and when I ultimately drilled down into the current rates our mortgage advisor could offer, this is what we were quoted.

I realize it's only possibly to speak in generalities without having a complete financial picture, but here's a snapshot: my wife and I are applying together and each have credit scores of approximately 800, very low DTI, and strong income/employment histories for the price range of properties we're considering. This loan would be for our first investment property, which we aim to purchase in Spokane, Washington (99205, 99224, 99201, 99203, etc.).

I realize that we should expect higher interest rates compared to someone who is purchasing their primary residence (perhaps 1% for an SFR and up to 1.2% for a multi-family), but I was definitely surprised by these rates—should I be? If so, what would you expect a reasonable rate to be for SFRs in the above price ranges?

Lastly, should I expect most lenders to require 25% down rather than 20% down for an investment property?

Thanks so much for your insights and assistance.

 If you care about the rate, yes you will put 25% down.

It's not possible to comment on the exact pricing available to you without far more information than provided, but one thing to keep in mind right now is that with most lenders, their discount point buydowns have significantly more bang for your buck than normal.

If you google, a million websites will tell you that 1 point buys the rate down 0.25%. Right now, it's closer to 0.5%. Break even points are less than 4 years, typically, at the moment. I've seen a few scenarios where the break even is less than 2 years. It looks like rates have fallen to the point that lenders are no longer interested in competing on rate, rather they are competing on discount point buydowns. 

Right now lenders are trying to hedge against you refinancing before they've recouped their origination costs by collecting several months of interest payments. That's what you are seeing. The stick of a higher "no points" interest rate, the carrot of phenomenal buydowns. 

Since many consumers are going along with this and buying the rate down, you are continuing to see the average rates people get decrease even though the "no points" rates have slowed their rate of change substantially. 

Is it worth going into that level of detail with an audience of 1 person who isn't even in contract and in a position to lock or make a decision? Up to the LO. 

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian ChildresPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Victor Yum what bank did you use? I’m outside of Dallas a bit and wanting to purchase our second duplex. Thanks!

  • Specialist · Escondido, CA · Member since 2008 · 60 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    When you concentrate on rate, it potentially takes you away from some long term goals in the accumulation phase of real estate.  Right now interest rate is important because you want to maximize cash flow.   However, if you plan on paying off the mortgage and not refinancing, then accepting higher rates with non Fannie\Freddie\Ginnie , ( FFG) Lenders will allow you to use the FFG on larger loans when you really want to maximize the lower rates.  IF you plan on having less than ten properties, then yes interest rate above five percent is really high.  

  • Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    @Victor Yum Thanks for the details on your rate and congrats on closing on the townhome. The insights from @Chris Mason earlier in this thread were quite helpful in opening my eyes to the current opportunities that exist with substantial buydowns. It’s great to hear from someone who just closed and is now benefiting from them.

    @Anthony Wick That's awesome. Thanks for sharing the additional insights. Your recommendation to shop around "but then stick with a great partner bank once you find it" is excellent and definitely the path I aim to pursue. I appreciate the insights on how your LLC was able to gain traction with that partner bank (through the personal guarantees and your pre-existing relationship with it). That's also great to hear that that duplex was so easy to close on and that you were able to tap the bank's attorneys to do the close and title work. Congrats again!

    @Michael Zau That’s incredibly helpful advice--thanks for zooming out to focus on crucial big picture considerations. You provide such a great a reminder to think carefully and deliberately about the opportunity cost that can come with using a Fannie or Freddie loan when first building one’s portfolio. In an ideal situation—which definitely rewards and is largely the product of vision, strategic planning, and forethought—one would avoid saving a few nickels today at the expense of saving dollars tomorrow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.