HELOC providers on rental properties in Northern VA

HELOC providers on rental properties in Northern VA

Rental Property Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 6 votes

Trying to check in with Northern Virginia (Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandria, Fairfax, etc) or Washington DC/Montgomery county investors to see if you guys had any recommendations on DC area local banks that will do HELOCs on rental properties, the first four or five that I've called have been more than willing to do so on a vacation house or a primary residence, but not on a rental...any ideas are appreciated. 

1Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerry BairdPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

I have used TD Bank and PenFed for my HELOCs, but have gleaned this list from the affable people here on BP, who share their experiences.  US Bank is also a strong contender, btw.  Please post back if you have success with a lender, so I can update my list and share with others.  Thanks~!



Ridge Lending All in One, first position HELOC.
Americafirst 80% LTV on noo 65% LTV 15 year 5.74%, Utah
Arvest Bank AR, OK, AL, MO
Bank of the west
BB&T will loan on a rental portfolio
BBVA Compass
Boeing employee credit union
California: Cal Coast Credit Union and Fremont Bank.
Citizens first position Heloc
CMG a financial 70% LTV
East West Bank, up to 60% LTV with "no docs”
Figure 80% on a rental, not in LLC
First Florida Credit Union https://firstflorida.cumortgagecenter.com
Great Lakes Credit Union
HSBC 70%, for premier clients only
Huntington 75% LTV
Hurst Lending and Insurance Investment property HELOC in Texas. No seasoning.
Key Bank, FLorida flexible lender, HELOCs on second homes and rental properties. 90% LTV on primary.
PenFed - max 3 other properties, 89% LTV
Regions- yes HELOC but no LOC
SCCU Florida 70% LTV, 6.25% interest only, not LLC
Sound CU "non-owner occupied HELOC, capped at $150K and interest rates are prime + 2%, 3% or 4%, based on credit, not to exceed 70% ltv.”TD Bank
TIAA Direct was EverBank
Tower FCU, all states except TX, max 45 DTI, green card ok. Max of three rental properties. Automated appraisal.
Trustco
Union Bank, specializes in noo HELOC. KCMO, NE
Union Bank (MUFG), Specializes in NOO HELOCS Union Bank, MUFG.
US Bank
Vectra Bank

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I have used TD Bank and PenFed for my HELOCs, but have gleaned this list from the affable people here on BP, who share their experiences.  US Bank is also a strong contender, btw.  Please post back if you have success with a lender, so I can update my list and share with others.  Thanks~!



    Ridge Lending All in One, first position HELOC.
    Americafirst 80% LTV on noo 65% LTV 15 year 5.74%, Utah
    Arvest Bank AR, OK, AL, MO
    Bank of the west
    BB&T will loan on a rental portfolio
    BBVA Compass
    Boeing employee credit union
    California: Cal Coast Credit Union and Fremont Bank.
    Citizens first position Heloc
    CMG a financial 70% LTV
    East West Bank, up to 60% LTV with "no docs”
    Figure 80% on a rental, not in LLC
    First Florida Credit Union https://firstflorida.cumortgagecenter.com
    Great Lakes Credit Union
    HSBC 70%, for premier clients only
    Huntington 75% LTV
    Hurst Lending and Insurance Investment property HELOC in Texas. No seasoning.
    Key Bank, FLorida flexible lender, HELOCs on second homes and rental properties. 90% LTV on primary.
    PenFed - max 3 other properties, 89% LTV
    Regions- yes HELOC but no LOC
    SCCU Florida 70% LTV, 6.25% interest only, not LLC
    Sound CU "non-owner occupied HELOC, capped at $150K and interest rates are prime + 2%, 3% or 4%, based on credit, not to exceed 70% ltv.”TD Bank
    TIAA Direct was EverBank
    Tower FCU, all states except TX, max 45 DTI, green card ok. Max of three rental properties. Automated appraisal.
    Trustco
    Union Bank, specializes in noo HELOC. KCMO, NE
    Union Bank (MUFG), Specializes in NOO HELOCS Union Bank, MUFG.
    US Bank
    Vectra Bank

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff Sadosky -  4 words: Pentagon Federal Credit Union

    Go directly there, problem solved!

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Sadosky depends how many properties you own. TD and pen fed policy only allow you to own 4 properties. Anymore you're out of luck. I'm in the process with secu. Prime + 2 is what I got quoted on. you pay all closing cost and appraisal on subject property. Max heloc is 75% LTV and I don't believe there's a cap or could be 500k. Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chapel Hill, NC · Member since 2019 · 120 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Sadosky

    PenFed, as others have mentioned. Also specifically for Virginia - UVa Community Credit Union will do HELOCs on rentals.

  • 20002 · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Sadosky Penfed are by far the most responsive of all the banks I tried for HELOCs on investment properties. They wouldn't lend to me as I have 4 investment properties. I am going with TD Bank

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    To close the loop on this...ended up using Pentagon Federal Credit Union, while they moved slowly given everyone trying to refi, things worked out well, have a HELOC w a solid rate I can now access. Thanks everyone for the guidance.

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jeff Sadosky - Always happy to help someone from home! Glad it worked out.

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Sovat C., with PenFed and TD, I was told that I can not own more than 3 properties. Have you been able to find a lender that does give out a HELOC if you own more than 3 properties. Please advise. Thank you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Koo Sharifi - I was able to do one with SECU since I had more than 3 properties.  Easy process even during the height of COVID.  I did have to wait until two months for them to open things back up.  

  • Investor · Springfield, VA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Hi everyone, I'm seeing some posts from 2020 indicating that Pen Fed credit union will do HELOCs on rentals. Can anybody confirm is they are still offering this service in 2023? Looking for a quick answer if possible before I contact Pen Fed to inquire. Thank you so much!

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael H.:

    Hi everyone, I'm seeing some posts from 2020 indicating that Pen Fed credit union will do HELOCs on rentals. Can anybody confirm is they are still offering this service in 2023? Looking for a quick answer if possible before I contact Pen Fed to inquire. Thank you so much!

    I can confirm that they are NOT and have not done HELOCs on NOO properties since April 2022. The representative I spoke with did indicate that things change and that at some point in the future they might do them again. I suggest you call PenFed.

  • Investor · Springfield, VA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Thanks, Tchaka. I confirmed and you are correct about PenFed. For what it's worth, I'm hearing that Atlantic Coast Mortgage is in the process of offering HELOCs on investment properties in the near future.

  • Flipper · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael H.:

    Hi everyone, I'm seeing some posts from 2020 indicating that Pen Fed credit union will do HELOCs on rentals. Can anybody confirm is they are still offering this service in 2023? Looking for a quick answer if possible before I contact Pen Fed to inquire. Thank you so much!


    You can try Arlington Community Federal Credit Union. I am working with them now on a HELOC on a rental property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.