Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Charley F.
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Should I request a new Loan Estimate if does not match what we...

Charley F.
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Mar 12 2020, 09:41

Greetings:

I am in the process of refinancing my home to take advantage of the lower percentages and reduce the length to 15 years. After research and consideration we decided to go with our bank (BofA). During my conversation with loan officer we agree to certain perks giving by the bank thanks to my tier as a customer, and some on negotiation. To be specific, we were waved the appraisal fee, no points, lowered percentage rate (to match a competitor bank) and half the cost of lenders fee.

In the first Loan Estimate everything was incorrect. We requested a second Loan Estimate and everything remained the same except for the percentage rate. We requested a new estimate and only the percentage rate was corrected, the rest remained the same. On my third request the subject was ignore even while still communicating with him and his team on related subjects. On the fourth request loan officer insists that these are only estimates and at the day of the closing, they will be corrected.

First, I kind of don't like to work this way where in an important date is when you get to see corrected documents. Either it would not be in your favor or it would delay the process and everything that might comes from it. Secondly, we are not talking about figures that can't possibly be accurate such as taxes, insurance, etc., these items have fixed cost (some was shown on their site) that can be either be removed or credited for the Loan Estimate.

I don't want to be too naive here and I know that there are many bureaucracies and automated steps that could make a simple adjustment a big hassle. But then again, I don't want a surprise.

Another concern is, in the event the loan does indeed comes still wrong during the closing, am I responsible for any fee if I decline or walk out from the closing?

What would you do in a similar situation?

Looking forward to your comments.

Loading replies...