Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
Hi BP Nation,
I am in Memphis, TN and I just completed a successful flip. I am now putting offers in on properties that I plan to BRRRR.
My challenge is this - it usually takes me about 30 days to close through my bank. I recently lost on an opportunity because another investor could close more quickly than I could.
I have a great relationship with my bank, but I think adding a hard money lender to my “toolbox” would be helpful.
Any referrals or recommendations would be appreciated.
Below are a few good starting points with regards to your lender search…
The ‘Network’ tab on BiggerPockets has a hard money lenders tab, and you can search by state.
Local meetups
Speaking with local realtors
Speaking with title companies
Speaking with other investors in your area who focus on your property type can be particularly helpful. If they've had a good experience with a lender, then chances are you are setting yourself up for success down the road.
Online search/databases. Simply by searching online you can find a number of quality reputable national lenders. If you want to get more specific, then you can type in your location, e.g. 'Memphis' along with your hard money lender search query. 'Memphis hard money lender' would be a reasonable starting point.
Hope this helps,
Michael
TN requries a state specific license for 1 to 4 units.. so not as many choices there.. depends on the size as well.. many wont go under 100k or 75k.. etc.. so i guess it just depends. Ask you banker for a LOC for this specific purpose.. thats what i have for buying courthouse steps
you get a small unsecured line from your bank to take it down then secure it up after the fact.. does not hurt to ask.
Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 313 votes
5y
Hello Jonathan, expect 80-85% initial acquisition with 100% construction on holdback. Refi is an asset-based 30yr loan, 6 months ownership seasoning required to pull market value. 9.25% on bridge and probably about 5.00-5.50% on the refi.
Real Estate Agent · Fleetwood, NY · Member since 2018 · 264 posts · 235 votes
5y
@Jonathan Davis Congrats on the flip! I don't know any lenders who lend in TN but you made a good decision by posting here - BP is a great way to network. I would also suggest looking on LinkedIn if you haven't done that already.
Lender · Member since 2018 · 617 posts · 275 votes
5y
Hi Jonathan,
Below are a few good starting points with regards to your lender search…
The ‘Network’ tab on BiggerPockets has a hard money lenders tab, and you can search by state.
Local meetups
Speaking with local realtors
Speaking with title companies
Speaking with other investors in your area who focus on your property type can be particularly helpful. If they've had a good experience with a lender, then chances are you are setting yourself up for success down the road.
Online search/databases. Simply by searching online you can find a number of quality reputable national lenders. If you want to get more specific, then you can type in your location, e.g. 'Memphis' along with your hard money lender search query. 'Memphis hard money lender' would be a reasonable starting point.
Below are a few good starting points with regards to your lender search…
The ‘Network’ tab on BiggerPockets has a hard money lenders tab, and you can search by state.
Local meetups
Speaking with local realtors
Speaking with title companies
Speaking with other investors in your area who focus on your property type can be particularly helpful. If they've had a good experience with a lender, then chances are you are setting yourself up for success down the road.
Online search/databases. Simply by searching online you can find a number of quality reputable national lenders. If you want to get more specific, then you can type in your location, e.g. 'Memphis' along with your hard money lender search query. 'Memphis hard money lender' would be a reasonable starting point.
Hope this helps,
Michael
TN requries a state specific license for 1 to 4 units.. so not as many choices there.. depends on the size as well.. many wont go under 100k or 75k.. etc.. so i guess it just depends. Ask you banker for a LOC for this specific purpose.. thats what i have for buying courthouse steps
you get a small unsecured line from your bank to take it down then secure it up after the fact.. does not hurt to ask.
Property Manager · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 126 posts · 67 votes
5y
Hello @Jonathan Davis! I reached out to connect but I wasn’t able to attach a message. I’m looking to invest in Memphis and maybe we could discuss partnering up and we could help each other out :)