• MA
Votes |
Syndication Advice for Large Multi

Ryan Twomey
  • Investor
  • MA
Posted May 25 2023, 10:54

Hi all,

Recently I have been looking at various forms of financing for future properties. One of the more intriguing forms I have learned and studied is syndication. Not having been a GP for a syndication before and looking to raise money and structure my first smaller syndication, 

What advice would you have on sources of capital from limited partners?

Where to go to connect with individuals (other than friends and family) who are interested in this type of investing? 

Any more advice on the topic dealing with structure, analysis, etc. would be appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 12:10

@Ryan Twomey if you are looking for multi-family stuff then post it in the "Commercial and Multifamily" forum.  You'll get a lot more responses there. 

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brock Mogensen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied May 26 2023, 06:41

For your first capital raise, friends and family is the easiest route.  If that is not an option, your next best option is to bring another person in on the GP with you who has access to capital and can sign on the debt.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Nov 16 2023, 11:46
When you start out syndicating, your first bottleneck is finding investors. You need to build a reputation as a good real estate investor first. While doing that, work on giving advice or education to the people who will become your investors. Investors won't give you their money until they feel like they can trust you. Building that relationship takes time, but is absolutely necessary. Talk to everyone you can about your investments and your plans. Some people gain experience in syndications by joining one as a limited partner first, but that's not required. Sounds like you have a lot more questions. Ask away or send me a DM and I'm happy to help.