VA Home loan

7 Replies

What's up BP world,

So, I plan on using the VA home loan to buy my first home AND investment property. I plan on getting a multiplex; live in one unit and rent out the other(s). Do you guys think this a good idea? Any tips? How long do I have to physically stay in the property before it can solely be an investment property?

Lots of people have done that! We have even split my husbands loan into 2 houses! In a va loan you have to live there for 1 year unless you have orders else where!

Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

Lots of people have done that! We have even split my husbands loan into 2 houses! In a va loan you have to live there for 1 year unless you have orders else where!

Thank you Elizabeth, are there any down sides to the VA loan you'd like to share, opposed to using a conventional loan?

I first used my VA loan for a triplex in 1993- best investment I ever made. I just used my VA a second time to purchase a duplex. There are some considerations to be aware of:

-You must have proven previous landlord experience

A VA loan will not work on your 1st property unless you are a property manager and can prove it. If you have no landlord experience here is my suggestion (this is how I started):

1. Use FHA loan: 3.5% down- you can use a gift from a family member for the down payment.

2. Occupy property for 1 year (FHA requirement)

3. Purchase next multi-unit with VA loan

@Elizabeth Colegrove, how were you able to "split the loan into 2 houses"?

How does that work with having to live in the house? Obviously, it's not possible to have two houses as your primary residence.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.