Negotiating down a 30k Pre-Payment Penalty?

1 Reply

All:

Has anybody had any luck negotiating down a pre-payment penalty? 

I currently have a seven figure note with a local bank and am currently required to pay a 3% pre-payment penalty if I refinance it with another bank. I'm looking for a way to get that reduced (I've tried to talk to the bank about re-financing the note with them, but there terms are much worse than I can get with a credit union). The problem is they currently have a favorable position (58% LTV), great debt service coverage (~2.1), and the amortization remaining is 12 years. In other words, they have no reason to give up the loan.

I will still have a fairly decent sized loan with them even if I take this one away, so there is still somewhat of a relationship there.

Any suggestions?  

Originally posted by @Will Gaston :

All:

Has anybody had any luck negotiating down a pre-payment penalty? 

I currently have a seven figure note with a local bank and am currently required to pay a 3% pre-payment penalty if I refinance it with another bank. I'm looking for a way to get that reduced (I've tried to talk to the bank about re-financing the note with them, but there terms are much worse than I can get with a credit union). The problem is they currently have a favorable position (58% LTV), great debt service coverage (~2.1), and the amortization remaining is 12 years. In other words, they have no reason to give up the loan.

I will still have a fairly decent sized loan with them even if I take this one away, so there is still somewhat of a relationship there.

Any suggestions?  

if you were getting rent payments every month and when the person wanted to move they had to pay you a large lump sum, would you negotiate out of it? No

The time to negotiate is when you signed the contract.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here