Home equity line of credit

2 Replies

What’s up BP, i am about to close on a refinance on my first and only rental property and after closing i will have $22,000 with of equity. I was wondering would i be able to use a heloc against that equity for my next investment property down payment being that i don’t want to use the estimated $8000 cash i will receive after closing???

@AJ Nettles  

While $22,000 is a nice chunk of equity it may not be enough to get a HELOC or cash out refinance. Most banks will only allow a 75% LTV HELOC on investment properties (this can vary from bank to bank) - so if your property appraises at $100,000 you would not qualify for a HELOC due to your high LTV. Really depends on how much the property is worth.

With that said, every bank has different overlays/standards so if one bank tells you no I would recommend shopping around at your local credit union, etc..

I do like your line of thinking. At the moment I am in the middle of refinancing and applying for HELOC all at the same time.

Best of luck AJ.

Good thinking! I am in the process of using my home to get a line of credit to use for RE investments so I will share my example. 

I went to the bank (First Interstate) with an $800k appraisal and a $450k mortgage. They told me that I cant surpass 80% loan to value ratio. I have already borrowed $450k (my mortgage) out of the maximum of $640k ($800k x .80) so that leaves $190k available to borrow as a line of credit. They told me if my credit score comes back above 750 then I can have the money at 4.5%, so I am paying off all my credit cards in full to help bump my score past 750 before i sign.

In your case, i cant calculate how much credit First Interstate would give you without knowing all the numbers, but it will probably be less than the total $22k so keep that in mind. Im happy to help if you have any questions!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here