Game room tax write off (str)

6 Replies

I own a few short term rentals and I am in the process of purchasing another. This new property has a great area that I would like to use as a game room. I am familiar with bonus depreciation when purchasing and furnishing a short term rental. Can I use that strategy or another to deduct items such as pool table, pinball, foosball etc? Thank you for your help.

Promotion
Azibo
Smart landlords use Azibo
One-stop-shop for landlords
Rent collection, banking, bill pay & access to competitive loans and insurance - free for landlords
Get started for free

@Michael Plaks

Thank you and thank everyone else for responding. It is my understanding that furnishings qualify for 100% bonus depreciation the first year they are put into service in a vacation rental. Would these items not qualify for that and instead be depreciated on a 5 year period as stated above? I appreciate everyone's time.

Originally posted by @Brian Schlosser :

@Michael Plaks

It is my understanding that furnishings qualify for 100% bonus depreciation the first year they are put into service in a vacation rental. Would these items not qualify for that and instead be depreciated on a 5 year period as stated above? I appreciate everyone's time.

Yes and yes. They're items with a 5-yr depreciation schedule that could be fully depreciated (written off) in the 1st year via either bonus depreciation or Section 179. Bonus depreciation is usually the better of the two methods.