Julie Asmussen
Pro Member
Votes |
Moving Property into an LLC

Julie Asmussen
Pro Member
Posted May 21 2023, 13:26

Hi BP Family,

I just setup my LLC and want to move my rental from my personal name into the LLC.

The problem is two fold: 1) I have a 3% loan on it that I don't want to let go of 2) I have a heloc on this property.

How do I just get it moved under the LLC without having to do a refinance?

Thanks so much for your collective wisdom,

Julie

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Novak
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Peoria, AZ
Replied May 21 2023, 16:01

I believe you can just do a quit claim deed to your LLC! Then the LLC is the owner but you still have your loans and such in your personal so it isn't too messy!

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied May 21 2023, 16:37

Contact your mortgage servicer; there is a request for change of title that you will complete to be authorized to change the title while retaining the financing in your name. Do not quit claim before getting authorization as it could effect not only your mortgage financing but your insurance (remember that you insured a property in your personal name...not an LLC).

It's important that you cover all the bases. Do it right once and be done with it.  

Hope this helps...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 21 2023, 17:01

@Julie Asmussen

Why are you wanting to cost yourself more money? Moving to a LLC only costs you more money and does nothing else for you

If you think it will do asset protection you are getting bad info because your LLC is not separate from you, why is that, because the LLC did not even buy the property you moved it over and still have a loan in your name

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 21 2023, 17:20
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Julie Asmussen

Why are you wanting to cost yourself more money? Moving to a LLC only costs you more money and does nothing else for you

If you think it will do asset protection you are getting bad info because your LLC is not separate from you, why is that, because the LLC did not even buy the property you moved it over and still have a loan in your name

What about setting a trust that will hold the property and the LLC will hold the trust ? 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 21 2023, 17:27

@Dror Brumer

Sure waste even more money to create a complex web of nothing. Sorry for the sarcasm but there is so much bad advice and lack of research done by people

Unless you are in the illegal drug trade or handcuff your tenants in a room like in the movies, can you name 1 item that would cause you to be personally responsible for getting sued and need a LLC that would not be covered by insurance ?

Think about it another way

If you did get sued,

Other attorney:

1. Did you transfer this to a LLC? You - yes

2. Did the LLC buy the property - No

3. Do you pay the mortgage - yes

So the LLC is not acting on its own, it does not truly own it because it didn't buy the property you moved it to skirt the laws.

How do you think a judge would view this?

User Stats

Votes
Julie Asmussen
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 2 2023, 03:47

@Patricia Steiner that helps a ton! My primary mortgage is w chase and thru said move to llc no problem. However I’m reaching out to my lender who holds heloc on the property said no because at that point the llc is a business owned and heloc is for personal finance not commercial loan. So it appears for now I’m stuck. :(. But thank you sooo much for your advice!

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jun 2 2023, 08:14

I'm going to add my 2 cents on the LLC issue. When I got to a number of houses where my DTI was a challenge, and the amounts of reserves for properties equaled down payments for new properties, I moved over to DSCR mortgages. These lenders require closing in an entity. While doing that, we worked on the asset protection side of things. As we grew, forming the LLC and closing in it to start was the way to go.

Everything is more expensive. The rates are higher on mortgages originated for LLC ownership, appraisals are more expensive, insurance must be commercial policies. OK, electricity isn't higher...but many things are. Is it "worth it" to use an LLC. Absolutely, at some point. Ought it be done from the start? No. I don't think so. I grew organically, and took the next most reasonable step.