1099 Rental payments from management company

1099 Rental payments from management company

Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes

So, this is my first year having a small management company where I manage rental properties for a few owners and had a few questions.

I use zillow rent payments to collect rent for all my customer's properties and then forward the owner the rent minus my 10% commission. 

My questions.

1. With regard to security deposits from new tenants.  

   A. I think zillow has included these in my 1099 they send me.. Can anyone confirm if they do this? 

  B. Should I include security deposits I've received and then forward to my owners in the 1099 I issue them? 

2. I'm assuming I am supposed to 1099 an owner for the gross amount I receive on their behalf not the actually net amount I pay them, correct?

for example if I have a property rented for $2000 a month and I charge 1 month rent as a turnover commission and 10% of each monthly rentals as a management fee I would send my owner a 1099 for the full $24,000 and they would just line items the turnover commission and monthly management fee as an expense on their schedule E , correct? 

Thanks it..

Thanks for any input

0Reply
41 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y

    Any funds Zillow forwards to you will be included in the 1099-K. This does not make it revenue. Your software should book a liability for the security deposit showing it was received and is owed. It becomes revenue if it is applied to damages or balances.

    Leases should be between your PM company and the tenants and you should hold the security deposits. 

    You 1099 the owners the amount you actually remitted to the owners. Some owners may 1099 you for your commissions. It is also permissible by regulation to 1099 the GROSS rental amount to the owners and have them deduct your commissions on their schedule E. Make sure to include a year-end statement of every fee and expense you paid on the owner's behalf if you or your software 1099 the gross rents collected. 

    I strongly advise getting started with a CPA and that you carry chargeback insurance in case a tenant ever reverses months of payments and deposits. 

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @Melanie P.  You Rock!  Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.