• Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Votes |
Setting Up Solo 401k

Josh Rich
  • Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Posted Mar 8 2014, 13:21

Today I'm working on taxes and finalizing my Solo 401k set up, yes tons of fun...not my favorite way to spend a sunny 75 degree Saturday in San Diego!

That said, I need some guidance on next steps.

Step 1) Have had sole propriatorship for a couple of years (unprofitable)

Step 2) Applied for and received my Tax EIN

Step 3) Gave self-employment info to foxnfox.com's Bruce Fox (great guy, most affordable) who processed the paperwork, and sent me a binder of legalise; this is for a solo 401k only, they do not act as custodians, or admin

Step 4) Acting as custodian, I will need to set up a bank account somewhere (any recommendations on which bank is best?); bank account will be exclusively for Solo 401K. (Will I need a bookkeeper if all transactions are tracked in/out of this bank account?)

Step 5) Roll over my previous employer's IRA and my wife's IRA (is that allowed since she and I are the only 2 employees?) into this new bank account (Hopefully the bank will help me do this?)

Step 6) Can I simply start investing in approved assets/transactions with checkbook control? (Mortgage Notes, and Turn Key SFR's)

Step 7) Can depreciation from properties be accounted on the standard schedule (straight-line, or accelerated)?

For all tax experts, accountants or attorneys, am I missing any steps? Also, I thank you all in advance for answering my "Bolded Questions".

Loading replies...