Buying commercial truck using self-directed IRA

9 Replies

I have an opportunity to buy a commercial truck using my retirement account and then lease it out to an operator. I already have several people lined up who wish to lease it from me. I have general understanding of prohibited transaction rules and that I can not receive any personal benefits from investments of my IRA. I know that I can buy a rental property inside my 401k and rent it out. I want to get an opinion on my potential investment of a commercial vehicle. Do you see any issues with this, are there anything I need to be aware of, any potential pitfalls that I need to lookout for?

@Grace Huang

An IRA may own personal property such as a vehicle. As with any IRA investment, the key is keeping all transactions at arm's length.

The income from leasing personal property will likely be subject to UBTI taxation.  Check with a tax professional.

You will of course need to obtain insurance on the vehicle and any necessary licensing through the IRA.

I have helped more than one person do this in the past. Brian is accurate in his thoughts on UBTI. Best of luck!

@Grace Huang You can get around the UBIT issue with a solo 401k. If you own your own business with no full time employees other than yourself and your spouse, you may qualify to set one up.

For a list of disallowed IRA investments, see following link:

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Retirement-Plans-FAQs-regarding-IRAs-Investments

Originally posted by @Adam Hershman :

@Grace Huang You can get around the UBIT issue with a solo 401k. If you own your own business with no full time employees other than yourself and your spouse, you may qualify to set one up.

Adam, income generated in a Solo 401k from the unrelated business activity would still be subject to UBIT.

UBIT still applies to a solo 401k unless it is a real estate non-recourse loan and the funds are not used for flipping real estate. 

Originally posted by @Dmitriy Fomichenko :
Originally posted by @Adam Hershman:

Adam, income generated in a Solo 401k from the unrelated business activity would still be subject to UBIT.

True story, was thinking UDFI!

Originally posted by @Dmitriy Fomichenko :

@Adam Hershman

UDFI is not applicable in Grace's situation. 

Correct, I was mistakenly thinking of UDFI (not applicable to 401ks) when I made the incorrect comment about 401ks not being subject to UBIT (applicable to 401ks). 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here