Should I be my own registered agent for an LLC

8 Replies

I'm trying to figure out if I should be my owned registered agent or hire some online company do so. There are companies that can do it for $ 150.00  a year. 

I would.  Im not sure of any reason not to.

BTW my CPA recommended to me to use and LLC filing as S-corp for my flips and a seperate regular LLC for my rentals.

Here is part of an article found on smallbusiness.chron.com

An LLC that acts as its own registered agent will not have the added privacy enjoyed by LLCs that elect other businesses to serve as the company's registered agent, according to SCORE. LLCs that do not use another business or person as the company's registered agent may be embarrassed if lawsuit documents are served in front of customers, vendors and clients.

Originally posted by @Tim Crumley :

BTW my CPA recommended to me to use and LLC filing as S-corp for my flips and a seperate regular LLC for my rentals.

Ha. Of course he recommends that.

You see how much more expensive your tax return just got? 

I feel like $150 per year is a small price to pay for the added privacy.

Doug W

Have you used an registered agent service?

Ownership(members) of the LLC are public record, Secretary of State's office, online. So much for "privacy", and why would it be important. If you do get "served" with something important, you want to depend on some service to forward it? If they fail to notify you of a lawsuit, oops you didn't respond, and you lose. What are you scared of?

Wayne, 

I go out out town from time to time. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here