Does anyone know a good real estate attorney in Atlanta, GA?

7 Replies

Hi Everyone! I need urgent help to find a good real estate attorney in Atlanta, GA. I've run into a issue with a recent contract. The seller stated that he'd gave instruction to view the property up on signed agreement. So I submitted the offer, and received the viewing instruction. However, after viewing the property, I found out that the condition of the house didn't worth the offer. So I wanted to back out of my offer. However, at this point, the seller wouldn't let me to withdraw the offer and wanted me to pay my earnest money of $10k since there is a clause in the offer that there is 0 due diligence. However, the verbal information from the seller was a completely different story. He had only give me viewing instruction after the offer acceptance and he stated I could withdraw my offer in 2 days. I really need help from an attorney to resolve the issue. Any good recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Emily

ha, yeah right.  I don't know that you need an attorney, just tell the seller to F off if you haven't paid him his earnest money.  If they sue you, then you hire an attorney, but I think he'd have a hard time winning a suit to compel you to give earnest money on a house you aren't going to buy, even if he put something like that in the contract.  $10k with zero due diligence on a house you havent seen is pretty silly.

I use Halperin and Lyman for my closings, they are investor friendly and good to work with,  you could call them and maybe chat with one of the attorneys, but I'd just laugh at this guy.

Thanks @Darrell Shepherd ! We are finding an attorney anyway so I don't mind pay a good attorney $10k instead of paying the seller! 

@Emily Allen

$10,000 is a pretty good sized earnest money deposit. Out of curiosity, what was the offer price?

And personally, I would never sign a contract that said 0 due diligence without seeing it first. 

Updated about 3 years ago

EDIT - I try not to say "never". I guess more interested in other specifics of the deal that made you want to move forward with those terms.

@Brad M. The offer was only $50k. I'm doing a cash offer and just want the big sized earnest money to attract the seller. The seller said he'd allow time for me to view the property before went into contract. I surely shouldn't have believed him.

Originally posted by @Emily Allen :

Hi Everyone! I need urgent help to find a good real estate attorney in Atlanta, GA. I've run into a issue with a recent contract. The seller stated that he'd gave instruction to view the property up on signed agreement. So I submitted the offer, and received the viewing instruction. However, after viewing the property, I found out that the condition of the house didn't worth the offer. So I wanted to back out of my offer. However, at this point, the seller wouldn't let me to withdraw the offer and wanted me to pay my earnest money of $10k since there is a clause in the offer that there is 0 due diligence. However, the verbal information from the seller was a completely different story. He had only give me viewing instruction after the offer acceptance and he stated I could withdraw my offer in 2 days. I really need help from an attorney to resolve the issue. Any good recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Emily

Andy Hartman with Hartman Imbrialle is a rockstar and is who we use as much as possible. [email protected]

Sounds like you are dealing with a wholesaler?

As a general rule, what is WRITTEN in the contract is MORE enforceable than anything VERBAL in most transactions.

Thank you guys! I know I don't have much written evidence but I'll call an attorney to see what I can do. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here