• Investor
  • nowhere, TX
Votes |
Title Issue

Billy Rogers
  • Investor
  • nowhere, TX
Posted Jun 15 2015, 19:40

I spoke with a seller today who has stopped paying taxes on 5 acres of rural land.  She lives out of state.   She told me that she bought the land from a lady and the lady's sister owned the title company where they closed the deal (red flag- remember to never do this - also shows how title ins isn't as great as people think).   Later she found out that the deed that the seller singed had the parcel number off by 1 digit.   When she tried to get the lady to sign a corrected deed she demanded $5,000.    Finally the buy agreed to pay her the 5k and when they showed up at the title office the seller demanded 10k.   The buyer said no and walked away.  She said she's talked to the county and they say she owns the land, but she can't sell it or get a mortgage to build on it because of the title issue.

She said she talked to another title company and they said they have to correct a lot of deeds from this particular title company.   She said she thinks its a scam.   She called the sheriff and they won't get involved.  

It's probably just something I should pass on, but I wanted to hear what others thought.

Loading replies...